Testing Deflection

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
Avare

Testing Deflection

Postby Avare » Mon, 2020-Jan-27, 07:09

From the floating floor thread:

U-Boats have been placed under floors supporting quite a bit of weight. However, testing for compressive tolerances is expensive and to keep U-Boat costs down, we have never verified performance."

What are "comprehensive tolerances"?

I understand the expense. At a minimum you would need a dial caliper and use of some weights.That is close to $50 for the caliper and guest passes at the local gym for 2. Around here that is a Chinese food dinner for three!

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Testing Deflection

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2020-Jan-27, 10:16

Avare wrote:I understand the expense. At a minimum you would need a dial caliper and use of some weights.That is close to $50 for the caliper and guest passes at the local gym for 2. Around here that is a Chinese food dinner for three!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Perfect comment! :thu: Manufacturing high-quality snake oil isn't cheap, I guess! :)

- Stuart -

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Testing Deflection

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2020-Jan-28, 14:04

Speaking of deflection in floors, Andre, I came across this strange diagram on the website of a "soundproofing expert":

stupid-uboat-soundproof-floor.gif

That's a rather strange place to put Uboats! The "deflection" on that deck would be rather interesting, as people walk across it, or from typical studio loads...

I guess they didn't get the memo on how U-boats are suppose to be used, and just took a wild guess when they opened the box and saw them... Hmmm! :roll:

- Stuart -

Avare

Testing Deflectionank

Postby Avare » Tue, 2020-Jan-28, 23:50

What is it supposed to do with no live load? No isolation when no one is on a spot? Why only 2 materials in the deck interlayer?

Thank you. A great joke.

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.