Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Oct-30, 23:10

gullfo wrote:Source of the post coolio. i was going to add - did you shoot the REW with the doors open or closed? if they were open it would likely account for the energy loss in 146-167 range. one thing to note - the side-to-side L and R monitors are fairly consistent. so the symmetry is decent. the scan you shared was +/- 4.5db (decent) so getting to 2.5db is excellent!

Hi Gullfo,

Yes ... doors were Open ... which is my preferred way of working.

Thanks for looking over the REW file ... it is important I get your view on it ... THANKS.

'UN-corrected' was not a good, working response. But after the 'tweak', I'm liking it !

I'll be spending time going through plenty of References, and other Projects. [for however long].

Then ...... my 'Filter Guy' wants me to do a 9-point REW shoot.

That is a bit more involved, especially measuring out the coordinated, but the basic area is:

1. Center point at ear height [same as we did for the single point shot].

2. about 6" above the head, and about shoulder distance away, 6" forward and back [top of the cube].

3. Then, about 6" below center, using the same cube corners.

He doesn't thing that the spectral curve would change much ... but I think he's looking at timing, and averaging to the prime
center point.

To note, although he has other commercial products that do this [Accurate, Lens, and others], we're doing this all with free software.

He says that the 'automatic' programs can easily misinterpret things [like modes, nulls], saying human intervention is needed to
be sure the correction is applied properly.

What he has shown me, with my Room as example, is making sense ... so I'll be interested in what the next level might be.

Kinda exciting ! :lol:

Will report as things develop.

Thanks again Gullfo for your Design .... and guidance!

RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2024-Jan-17, 22:19

Stopping in for a short visit and post.

First and foremost ... having now been working in this new Control Room ... it has been really great. [Thanks to Gullfo ... yet again]. :D

Though I've had to still pace myself [damn Vertigo is still happening ... but better] ... I've had opportunity to Master a variety of Projects, and the Client response has been, well, pretty darn fantastic 8-)

During all this time, I've been getting things setup and adjusted to improve workflow. Latest being the addition of a 3rd video monitor to
spread plugin GUI's about.

Milling in the back of my mind have been some of the 'leftover' KNAUF panels stored in the basement [they'd been cut into 2' triangles] ...
So I decided to put together 2 2x4x4" panels ...

On the sides of the Room, up by the ceiling, are two rather open areas [wall ceiling corners]. There doesn't seem much sound bouncing from
that area ... but, I 'feel it' .... I know strange.

The plan is to place these 2 new panels into the sidewall corners [45 degrees] ... ceiling suspended.

If it deadens down the Room toooo much ... I can just take them back down [can find another place for them, so no issue there].

There isn't an easier way to pre-test this idea ... so we gots to try it.

The 2 panels have been built, using a different technique/material than I've used in the past.

It's a combination of an aluminum cage [corner bead moulding] mounted to a 1x2" frame .... giving my a place to staple the fabric on.

The wooden frame has a layer of that 'Landscaping Fabric' placed across [keep fibers contained].

Only thing left is wrapping with the same fabric I have used throughout for the other panels.

It's a fun little project/experiment to do while having 4 feet of snow outside [one of my 'Winter' projects].

I'll try to snap a few photos ... didn't even think of it during assembly. Heck ... it just feels good to be able to do more physical stuff.

On the side note: I've had plenty time to do Vertigo research [along with physical therapy] .... and been reading up on the coincidence
of low Vitamin D and Vertigo.

Since my bloodwork had my Vit-D at 17 ... I've been taking 4000U of D3 for about the past month or so. [not to mention .... Doctor
has been less than helpful].

Not jumping to conclusions, but it seems the Vertigo is getting less severe. I've not walked into walls on my left side as often [the shoulder appreciates that]. Or ... I'm just getting better at handling it ?!? Either way, I do feel a bit of overall energy boost.

Have bloodwork in a couple weeks ... see where the numbers be.

Anyway ... hope everyone had a great Holiday ... and Best Wishes for a Wonderful New Year !

until later 8-)

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2024-Jan-18, 13:38

congrats on the vertigo severity. yeah, setting up a stack of triangles in a corner will almost always help. if too much HF goes away, add a panel. there is almost no way in a small room to have too much LF or LMF absorption... :geek:

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Fri, 2024-Jan-19, 02:07

Hi gullfo,

Thanks for your 're-assurance' for what I have planned. Very much appreciate hearing from You !

Not sure of the time table ... 'they' won't let me up on a ladder quite yet [probably for my own good] ... but we'll get it figured out.

What will be interesting is shooting out the Room afterward.

I may have to have my correction filter [IR's] redone ?!? will see/hear.

Hope all is well with You !

Until later.

RJ

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2024-Feb-04, 01:18

minor update.

Had some time to pull together some Knauf scraps, and built 2 'cage' frames. 2' x 4' x 4"

The frames are a combo of 1x2", and aluminum corner bead.

With help from the 'Clampets' :mrgreen: I positioned the cover cloth around the frame.

Pulling, stretching to get a taunt fit. Let it sit overnite.

Tomorrow [?] ... maybe a little more yanking ... and then some staple action.

some pixs.
Attachments
IMG_2997.JPEG
IMG_2998.JPEG

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2024-Feb-04, 12:30

looking good. remember though, too much yanking can impact your eyesight :cen:

endorka

Postby endorka » Sun, 2024-Feb-04, 22:07

Nice one!

About 8 years ago I made lots of absorbers with metal corner bead for the front face. The metal bead looks brilliant and very professional under self coloured fabric (wood doesn't). I found working with that corner bead for this purpose a major headache though. I was worried about sharp edges cutting the fabric but it hasn't. I treated the corners with tape as you have done.

Cheers,
Jennifer

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2024-Feb-05, 05:36

Hi Jennifer.

I've been following your Thread Build as well. Very Nice !

Yeah ... the mix of wood/aluminum is something I wanted to try. Mostly to have wood to staple the fabric to.

The aluminum portion does have some 'easy' parts ... but the corner standoffs, with the bead bevel on the edge was bothering.

So, on a small anvil, I hammered it flat. Not a big deal ... just gotta watch the ear drums.

The overall weight of the panel is a definite plus ... all designs have their plus/minuses I suppose.

Aluminum Corners ... luckily, was able to locate one Drugstore that had that cloth tape in stock. [more expensive than it use to be ... what new]. Many Stores seem to have similar stock issue.

Heck ... I want to install a 12T internal hard drive in my Lian-Li case. Need to use these 'anti-vibration' mount screws. Finally found them on Ebay ... only to find out later that its being shipped from China ! ...... so, yeah ..... I'll expect it in a couple months :roll:

anyway ... Cloth tape on the corners to prevent snags. Also ... a lite sanding of the wood frame edges.

--- progress report ---

Well, the Jed 'Clampetts' did their thing nicely. I let the stretching go for the day .... run down for a yank :yahoo: let it stretch ... repeat.

Earlier this evening ... staple time. Still need to do the fabric 'corner fold' ... with a touch of ironing to crisp the fold.

It's coming together, and it'll look good ... the vertigo does interrupt further progress :ahh:

So then, it was back to Mastering :yahoo:

That's all the News fit to type ... was nice to hear from You ... will be following your Thread.

Take Care ... All the Best !

RJ

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2024-Feb-10, 23:09

update:

Finally ... the 'Supply Chain' has gotten in the 2" Eye Bolts that I needed for the ceiling 'runners' to hang the new side-wall Clouds from !! :yahoo:

The 1x3x4' runners have been ceiling painted.

Holes drilled, with counter sink, so the 'nut' is below surface.
Had to use a stand-off nut and washer on the face side to make the bolt length work. [this was expected].

Near the top of the week, a Friend is to come over to install the runners and hang the clouds.

I, hesitantly suggest that this should be a rather straight-forward install.

Key will be to locate the ceiling joist. Then I can measure out, and drill, the pilot holes with countersink.
I like to prep everything on the ground first ... making the install a 'place and sink screws'.

pix of the runners ... pairs are clamped together to keep boards flat.
IMG_3004.jpg

The actual Clouds are nearly finished with the cloth wrapping.

Another Friend of my is doing it, with his special 'corner' technique. It does make the corner look nicer.
Hopefully that'll happen this Monday afternoon.

Other Studio News.

I'm returning one of the [new] WD 6T hard drives, after it started making some unwelcomed sounds. This is the 3rd drive
from NewEgg ... 2 of them came with terrible packaging. Loosely rattling inside the shipping box.

So I'm getting that one Refunded ... and this afternoon, Amazon delivered a new WD 6T hard drive. Hopefully this one survived
shipping :cop:

I also have a new 12T Seagate drive sitting on the shelf. I've been trying to find the Lian-Li anti-vibration thumb screws used to mount
the drives. These screws seem impossible to find here in the States.

I did order something similar from China ... that also came in today ... not sure they'll work. What a pain :?

Well ... that be the News over here ... back to Mastering 8-)

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2024-Feb-11, 12:23

coolio. one option is to install a couple or three 1x boards running perpendicular to the joists (paint to match the ceiling) and attach there as if will provide more flexibility in placement. you can use toggle bolts through the board and ceiling to ensure enough strength.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2024-Feb-14, 21:20

update news:

The new 'side ceiling' panels were finished up Monday.
A return back to Lowes found the 1-1/2" S-hooks back in stock [the ones I preferred].
The 'runners' had been prep'd.

So this afternoon. my Friend came over, with time to install one of the panels.
I stayed on the ground in helping ... as the Vertigo kept hitting.

This would have been, maybe, a 30 min job for me otherwise ... so very frustrating :cen:

Anyway ... this photo shows the area being addressed on the right side of the Room.
IMG_3005.jpg

Runners mounter into ceiling joist:
IMG_3006.jpg

View from outside the room:
IMG_3007.jpg

View from sitting position:
IMG_3008.jpg

Yes ... lighting not so good for the photos ...

Most important.

When the build was underway, there were some limits to the center ceiling clouds I was able to build [according to gullfo's design].
Those center clouds were supposed to span more to the left/right of the room.

With what I could build ... we went with it.

Once the Room acoustic treatment had been installed ... I wanted to spend time listening.
From listening went into working on Projects ...
That continued till now.

From the leftover scraps ... these new side-ceiling panels were pulled together.

During this time, the Room had been 'shot'. An IR correction filter [split Min/Linear phase design] had been made.

What I had a sense was this subtle 'disturbance' happening above on my upper left and right side. It was a small distraction at best ... regardless
of the subtlety. [more like a presence] ... ahhhh ... word descriptions :?

If I went over to these side areas and snapped a finger or shouted ... there was indeed a ringing [like a basketball bounce .. but very short]. [I normally do know the proper term, just that my brain is still scrambled from looking up to help the install].

ANYWAY

The moment that one panel was placed ... I noticed the change immediately. This was the missing piece to the RFZ design.

It may be next week till the other side panel can be installed, as I have to work with other's schedules ... so, my left side is having to
deal with this 'ambiance' from above, meantime.

During this process ... since I couldn't go up on a ladder safely ... I did a detailed layout in Sketch-Up. [the only thing I couldn't be
certain was the location of the ceiling joist [which we found spaced 24"].

But to calculate the placement of the runners, and the chain length needed for the 45 degree slope ... all done in Sketch-Up.
The physical material fit as expected.

I did hope/want for a tighter fit to the ceiling ... but it would have made the mounting more difficult to do ... and since I had to call on other's to help ... they would have complained of my 'exactness disease'. [which can really be a difficult issue to have ... personally] :cop: :lol: :ugeek:

As I sit here, gathering my thoughts ... listening softly to a Chick Corea recording ... there is no other place I'd rather be. The performance stage I see before me, is like having the finest seat in the house.

I so look forward to getting that left side panel in place.

Gullfo ... again I express my sincere gratitude for your Knowledge and Guidance you've shared.

Thank-you.

RJHollins [Up All Nite Studio]

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2024-Feb-15, 12:47

cheers!

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2024-Feb-29, 01:47

Update :

This afternoon, we were able to complete the symmetry of the angled ceiling clouds :yahoo:

My youngest Brother was able to come over, and with his help/experience, easily get this panel mounted.

I'll include a couple photos.

Panel specs are 2' x 4' x 4", full 'all open' design, mounted 45 degree angle

Once again, I'm taken by the new, 'sonic balance' I feel just sitting in the Control Room.
No longer sensing any distraction above my left or right ... just a quiet calm ... silence.

The ability to effortlessly focus on the Sound Stage ... takes to a magical world.

Depth, Detail ... Colors, Textures ... from Subtle, to a body blow ...

Listening to MJ's, 'Liberian Girl' ... I'm reminded of the experience I had, listening to this Track when I was
at Bernie Grundman's Studio. [It has been one of my critical Reference Tracks since its initially released].

I think I'm just going to spend some time, and just listen in this new Room.

Thank-you Gullfo 8-)

IMG_3013.jpg
Left Side before treatment

IMG_3014.jpg
close view of installed panel

IMG_3015.jpg
View from chair

endorka

Postby endorka » Thu, 2024-Feb-29, 06:21

It's great when you get those moments of musical satisfaction after all that work.

Cheers!
Jennifer

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2024-Feb-29, 16:44

Nicely done! Enjoy!