Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2024-Mar-10, 02:19

update/news

Taking a moment to STOP enjoying the Music [since the new addition of side/corner treatment] :mrgreen:

It happened, as I was driving near JoAnn's Fabrics, deciding to stop in for a look on a little 'dressing' project that's been on my mind.

My Mains are sitting on a stack of cinder blocks [approx 37" tall] + sorbothane domes. That combination has work quite well.
IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

The issue ... since I cannot soffit mount ... I have a stack of cinder blocks in the Control Room.
This gives too much of a 'utilitarian' look in the Room.

The plan: to run a skirt around the 3 viewable sides of the blocks.

I'd attach the fabric via Velcro strips.

While perusing JoAnn's, I found a bolt of fabric that has the 'look' idea I have in mind ... that is, for the block stack to basically blend into
the background.

I ended up with fabric color, 'Rave Charcoal'.
IMG_3020.jpg

The only pic at the moment.

Right now I have the 2 pieces laid out flat on the work tables.

They have a fold down the middle that I need to, basically, iron out ... just not sure an iron is the best method ... so, with guidance from
the JoAnn lady [who was not to pleasant for some reason :? ] and doing some Youtube searching for additional insights.
Some have suggested that it can go in the dryer, along with a damp, microfiber cloth for 5 minutes.

Others suggest hanging them on the tub/shower rod, run hot water to steam up the room for a period of time ... then let air dry.

Whatever process, I want to be careful, as this fabric turned out much pricier then I anticipated ... so, another 'Alpha Design' will hopefully be the Final presentation :P

I also picked up some Industrial Strength Velcro. They come in 2"x4" squares that I can cut into 1"x2" which should provide enough grip-tion. [according to testing I did many months back ... and still holding strong].

Once I get the 2 'skirts' trimmed to size, get the Velcro attached ... the fun part should be actually crawling back to the monitor position to wrap the concrete stacks ... vertigo and all. :ahh:

Meantime, I've had a small strip of the Rave Charcoal temporarily hanging off the front of one stack.

There is a hint of Royal Blue in the fabric ... seems to go nicely with the black and tan colors already prominent. Importantly, there is no 'shine' off this fabric ... so it basically draws no attention [or visual distraction].

I run 'low level' lighting in the Room. A ceiling lite that is above the ceiling Clouds, and several low-wattage 'nite lites' plug in a couple wall sockets. ... the 3 screen monitors are the only other light source [beside the entrance hallway lighting].

Nonetheless ... I want the Room to look good [or at least better] :lol:

Will see how soon I can get to this .... should have pix along the way.

.... that's all that fit to type tonite. Thanks for any insight/suggestions/guidance 8-)

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2024-Mar-10, 11:20

another option which might turn out faster - a "pillow case" type approach where you can sew it up to be a reasoably close fit (the block as probably +/- 1/16") and simply slip it over the stack and put the iso pad and speaker back on. to make it it simply sew it from the inside out, that way when you turn it right side out the stitching is on the inside. you can use any left over to make covers for other things you might want to cover for dust or appearance. and if you end up sleeping in there, some real pillow cases ;-) :mrgreen: