How to improve this room

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
Krakadon

How to improve this room

Postby Krakadon » Sat, 2023-May-27, 21:46

Hi. I'm in one of those worst case scenario situations where I have a small bedroom for my studio. I did measurements when it was empty and I've added a lot of DIY treatment. The post results are much better but translation is still poor. Any suggestions on improving this situation? Attachment 1 shows room details, treatment and pre-measurements. (note that it doesn't mention there is a 8' x 12' vinyl flooring remnant over backing board centered in the room if that makes much difference. Attachment 2 shows post-measurements. I have the REW files if interested. Thanks.
Attachments
Dev's Room Layout & Acoustic Treatment Lo-Res Pt 2.pdf
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
Dev's Room Layout & Acoustic Treatment Lo-Res Pt 2.pdf
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 414 times
Dev's Room Layout & Acoustic Treatment Lo-Res Pt 1.pdf
(6.77 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
Dev's Room Layout & Acoustic Treatment Lo-Res Pt 1.pdf
(6.77 MiB) Downloaded 301 times

gullfo

How to improve this room

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-May-28, 14:01

given the size of the room ±5db (on the ALL SPL) is not bad, you might use some eq to broadly drop slightly around 45hz & 55hz by 1db. you might also play around with situating the sub in case that needs to be slightly more centered (should not be in the center, but the offset might be more than you actually want based on your drawings).

as far as translation - what is the difference you are hearing in other environments? too much low? mud? too much highs? do you cross-check your mixes on headphones?