Bricks or gyprock?

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
ConanT

Bricks or gyprock?

Postby ConanT » Sat, 2024-Mar-23, 09:01

Hey there legends :D
Newcomer to this platform and recording studios in general. This looks like the place to be for some good advice so thanks in advance.
I have a 6m x 6m garage I would like to turn into a home studio. The outer walls of the garage are brick and being an ex bricklayer I can make the “room inside a room” cheaper building with my hard labour and bricks. Most posts I see, everyone is using stud frames and gyprock.
I live on 2.5 acre property so the neighbours aren’t an issue but would like to keep the noise from travelling into the house while tracking drums etc.
I’ve read that bricks are great for keeping noise in but bounces a lot in the room??. I figure I could use more ac treatment to combat that issue?
Also, Is having an almost perfect square room bad sonically??

I’m sure you have all had these questions before but would greatly appreciate any feedback so I can get the ball rolling

Cheers,
Conan

eightamrock

Bricks or gyprock?

Postby eightamrock » Mon, 2024-Mar-25, 10:46

ConanT wrote:Also, Is having an almost perfect square room bad sonically??

Yes. Worse for a control room, but also not ideal for a tracking room. I had a 10'x10' tracking room for a bit and I could never treat it enough to solve the issues. Id recommend building a closet or small iso booth into a corner or something to break up the shape and help alleviate it.

Brick is a great isolator so it is a good start. If you build a room in a room design with brick for both mass layers you could have pretty good results. Stuart or Glenn will give better advice as I am just an amateur home studio builder. All I know is that the devil is in the details, your weakest point wont be the brick, it will be something like the roof, HVAC, doors, or windows.

gullfo

Bricks or gyprock?

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2024-Mar-25, 11:23

as eightamrock noted - the weak points will be the ceiling (unless you're also making that concrete :!: ), roof, and any openings you make in the dual brick walls such as windows, doors, hvac, lighting, etc. the reason for stud walls and drywall - if you have an exterior brick layer, then the drywall "lightness" can help in LF absorption, and be less expensive (depending on where you live), and easier to modify if needed.

a 6m x 6m square room should be ok, but you will need to decide on its uses(s). a live room - generally easy to add large treatments to get it sounding good. a critical listening environment, it's likely out of proportion to get a good set of modal response and subsequently the right balance across frequency and reverberation.

it's possible to sub-divide the overall space using free standing treatments depending again on the use(s).