Small control room design mk2

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2022-Feb-19, 15:43

on the hard back cloud (one of my inventions lol) i usually like to use chain link on hooks so the angle and position (vertically) can be tweaked. i run the chain through soft rubber tubing to keep it from potentially vibrating. easy to cut to length.

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Sun, 2022-Feb-20, 06:11

Thanks for the reply, Glenn. I didn’t realise the hard backed cloud was your concept - do you think it would help in my room?

Cheers
Gareth

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Feb-20, 13:01

the hard backed clouds can help in just about all small rooms. they're less effective in larger spaces for obvious reasons. the thing is - you can adjustment them (i use plural because just like wave guides (which they are effectively that) there may be several in a row) to accomplish the change needed in the listening position.

endorka

Postby endorka » Mon, 2022-Feb-21, 04:29

garethmetcalf wrote:Source of the postI fixated on a few of these frequencies using a tone generator and wandered the room. The 55Hz ish null is worst at around 1/4 and 3/4 room dimensions, but according to the bob golds calculator is associated with the ceiling dimension!?

With dimensions 550x325x225 the amroc mode calculator gives 53Hz as the 1st width mode, perhaps a more likely candidate for the 55Hz observation? Does the width treatment differ from the mix to 60cm forward position?

At 60cm forward the bump around 63Hz increases. This corresponds to the 2nd length mode, so makes sense. Pure speculation, but I wonder if this fairly broad bump is contributing to the changes at 55Hz?

Height is associated with 76Hz, which makes sense as it remains fairly constant in your graph.

Unless of course I have your room dimensions wrong. Here's a link to the amroc calculator with these values already in place;

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=55 ... se&r60=0.2

Cheers!
Jennifer

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Mon, 2022-Feb-21, 10:16

Thanks Jennifer. I was quite tired when I did that post on Friday and got the dimensions and their modes confused. I think you're right that there are phase interactions changing the 55Hz as you move through the space. There is 100mm think treatment at 1st reflection point from mix position, which would be level with ears at 60cm forwards, whereas left and right of my ears at main listening position is untreated.

I think some angled wings with slats would be the first step towards changing things. I also realised that I could remove some of the hangers underneath the monitor 'shelf' and put a membrane absorber in there like Dio has done.

Cheers
Gareth