I would like some advise on baffle box vent sizes and duct liners

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
cs357

Postby cs357 » Sun, 2023-Jan-08, 02:17

Hi everyone,
I am a drummer from Bangalore, India looking to build a room to practice and record in. This is the first time I am attempting to build a soundproof room. I have most of the design sorted out but I would like some advice on baffle boxes, duct liners, and sizes of ducts and vents. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about this but because I read in Rod Gervais' book that the outlet of a baffle box should be double the size on the inlet it got me thinking about the sizes of the ducts as well because I will be using a 4" fan (I chose this because of the calculation below). My questions below are very specific. It would be of great help if you could give me your opinions / suggestions.

1. The dimensions of my room are 13'(l)x8'(w)x8'(h). In his book, Rod Gervais suggests an air flow of 15 CFM per person. I dont think I will have more than 4 people in the room at any time, so 60 CFM is what I should go for. There is a 4" fan that I have found online with a flow rate of 117 CFM (https://www.amazon.in/ASTBERG-VENTIL.../dp/B08MD73HG7). Specs can be found here: https://astbergventilation.com/mix-f...fications.html. Is this a good choice?
I have designed the ventilation system the following way:
The intake of the fan is connected to the outlet of the baffle box. The baffle box is attached directly to the ceiling of the room. I have attached a picture with labels. So if I use the 4" fan, I would like to know what are good sizes for A, B, C and E so that the air flow noise is minimal. C and E are insulated flex ducts.

2. I would also like to know how to make something similar to "Johns manville permacote linacoustic r-300" to use as insulation inside the baffle box. I cannot find any product similar to this where I live. I can get fiberglass but not with that Permacoat coating that is present in the above mentioned product. Is there any other material that I can use to cover the fiberglass with?

3. I will be using a baffle box for the inlet vent of the room as well but without a fan. Is this ok? So the outlet of this baffle box should be lined up with the inlet vent of the room and the inlet of the box should be connected to the hole in the exterior wall. Am I right about this? How can I determine the sizes of the inlet and outlet vent of this baffle box and the hole in the wall?

Thanks in advance,
Clement
Outlet vent.jpg

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-Jan-08, 16:55

put a fan on the inbound (supply) side isolation box as well as the outbound (return) side. also - consider filtering, and depending on your moisture and temperature differences, you might consider an ERV/HRV device instead of just fans as they will help with moisture differentials and temperature where you're using a split unit AC inside.