Homestudio flush mount speakers

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Sun, 2023-Jul-02, 02:26

Today I wll start with the framing the way @Soundman2020 did recommend. I will first do some framing with one or two layers with drywall and 5cm Rockwell behind that. I don't need that much of soundproofing because I had some insight in the construction of the house. Even because it's rental to I cannot make that many of drastically changes because else :cop: ...

The outer wall are 20cm of concrete mass. The only ''problem'' I've over there is the window space and the other concrete wall is attached to the neighbours. That STC is almost impossible to beat. The other walls are from thinner concrete mass but also 20cm thick. I think, but correct me if im wrong, that building a complete structure in the room is a waste of time, material and result. The only thing that concerns me is the door and window. But I think every studio has that problem.

For now I will start with a frame to make the build a little bit easier; few cm airgap, 5/10cm of isolation (Rockwool) and one or two layers of drywall. Or do I create a drum again then with the walls?

"If u ain't redlining, u ain't headlining"

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Sun, 2023-Jul-02, 05:46

Back to the drawing table. Some screws where stuck as... But its gone :shock:

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Sun, 2023-Jul-02, 08:40

Excellent! Now just lay the insulation by itself, then put the layers of wood & etc. on top.

- Stuart -

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jul-03, 23:18

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post #48 by Soundman2020 » Sun, 2023-Jul-02, 14:40
Excellent! Now just lay the insulation by itself, then put the layers of wood & etc. on top.

- Stuart -

Today I'm going to start with this. 10cm/up rockwool and 2 layers of OSB. I'm curious what the difference is and how the rockwool will hold up to the weight of the top floor.

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Tue, 2023-Jul-04, 03:32

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post
I think you'll find three things with that experiment:
1) The resonance will be greatly reduced, but perhaps still problematic.
2) The floor will feel a bit too "soft" under your feet.
3) Isolation will be better but still not great.

Wow. Love the improvement because I was very naive. Now I can continue with the second layer. The mass is indeed less then the concrete.

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2023-Jul-04, 17:15

it works because the stiff mass layer on top of the insulation distribute it. so, weight "points" on the floor will be spread out. the stiffer and the more massive (hopefully this statement doesn't trigger anyone :-) ) the more the distribution, with the caveat that the insulation has to support the mass and expected load to about 35% compression. Kinetics Noise seems to have updated their RIM product with something called "MetaWRX". i've used the RIM product in a number of studios with excellent results, so presumably their new one should be just as good and perhaps more refined.

RedstoneStudios

Postby RedstoneStudios » Sun, 2024-Jan-14, 18:40

Hi Dystonia, did you finished your build? Was following the posts and looking forward to know if you did flush mount your speakers!

Greetings,

Tim