Homestudio flush mount speakers

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 15:44

DYSTONIA wrote:Source of the post Build the inner walls straight on the concrete? Or maybe create a little 'floating'? (Glenn's Drum Riser concept)

If you are wanting to build your walls on top of the floating floor, then you'd need something more substantial that Glenn's riser concept. That would be too much weight on the insulation. Glenn's riser is meant for for smaller loads, such as a few people and a drum kit, and maybe some other gear. Not for supporting an entire inner-leaf room. with walls and ceiling resting on it. Too heavy.

So you'd need to build the walls on the concrete slab. Usually, that's fine, especially for a "slab on grade", but yours is an elevated slab with some type of room below, and an entire building connected to it. I'd suggest using something like the "Iso-sill" product, to isolate the walls form the slab:
Isosil-anchor-bolt-decoupling-isolation-collar-and-pad.jpg
More details here: https://www.acoustiguard.com/products/s ... ation.html That allows you to rest the wall sill plate on the concrete, and also firmly attach it, while also decoupling the wall from the slab. Just use small expansion bolts, or concrete screws, or some such to do the actual attaching, taking care that the bolts/screws do not actually touch the sill plate: only the floor slab itself, and the isolation washer.

- Low vibrations going into the floor. Then it vibrates to all the walls?
Right. When you have "impact noise" or vibrations getting into the floor slab itself, then that will run through the entire building. If you tap a hammer on a railroad track, then someone else can hear that hundreds of meters down the track if the put their ear to the rail (hopefully, when no train is coming!) Vibrations can travel for very long distances in solid, dense materials, such as concrete and steel. So if you have someone playing a drum kit that is sitting on your floor, the impact sounds of the pedals and the vibration of the kick drum can get into the slab, and annoy everyone in the entire building, even people several floors up or down. That's the purpose of Glenn's riser platform: to isolate that type of impact noise from the underlying floor below. It's not a true "floating floor", but it does a very good job of reducing the transmission into the slab.

(EDIT: I didn't read the MSM/MAM yet)
I'd read that first: Your questions are answered in the article :)

So, I think the best option for you might be to build your isolation walls using that Iso-sill stuff, or something similar, then after the walls and ceiling are complete, build your entire floor as a large version of Glenn's riser platform: a couple of layers of thick rigid or semi-rigid mineral wool (I'd suggest two layers of 3" [75mm] batts for that, total of 6", 150 mm), then do the floor deck itself, built exactly as Glenn describes with two layers of 3/4" (19mm) MDF, and a final top layer of 3/4" (19mm) plywood on top. Just make sure to leave a small gap between that deck, all around the room, so it does not touch the walls, then fill that gap with a god quality, very flexible caulk, such as Sika 11-FC. That ensures that you get a good air-tight seal for the floor, and that there is no direct transmission of sound between the walls and the deck. Then you can lay your finish flooring: I'd suggest an 8mm (minimum) laminate flooring product of some type (the "click together" ones are very good), with an acoustic underlay of maybe 5mm or so.

The total thickness of that floor would therefore be about 22 cm, so your ceiling height would be that much lower.

One more thing: the speaker soffits should rest directly in the slab, not on top of the riser. Soffits are very heavy. So you'll need to use the "isolated speaker" method for your soffits, to make sure that the speakers cannot transmit vibration into the soffit, and thus into the slab.

- Stuart -

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 16:10

@Stuart, thanks for your reply. A lot of info for today haha. I used this product for the floor right now as you can see in my previous post on page 2 where the wood construction was/is laying on; https://www.bouwpuntshop.be/akoestische ... aat-van-2m

I've to think about this. I'm already over my budget and this solution cost me a few hundred bucks extra I think. :(
Right now there is 75mm Rockwool because I didn't remove that yet. Is upgrading to 15mm a must? Build material in The Netherlands are really expensive. I bought 10 pieces of drywall last week for about 5 euro's each. Right now they're around 7 euro's per piece.

"If u ain't redlining, u ain't headlining"

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 16:24

So you'd need to build the walls on the concrete slab. Usually, that's fine, especially for a "slab on grade", but yours is an elevated slab with some type of room below, and an entire building connected to it. I'd suggest using something like the "Iso-sill" product, to isolate the walls form the slab:

I did try to make a photo about that stuff but it's underneath the wood construction.
Attachments
2023-06-12 22.20.54.jpg
2023-06-12 22.19.53.jpg

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 16:37

I'm not at all sure that's the right product for floating a wall on. I tired to download the specification data sheet, but I got a message taht Google translate as :

"Oops, something went wrong
Sorry, but this page probably no longer exists. Feel free to know what you could not find on our website.
"

So it seems they don't actually have a data sheet for that any more! Strange.

Without seeing the specs, I can't say if that is nay use or not. But from the little scant information on the web page itself, it seems like it isn't the right stuff. Iso-Sill is especially designed for this application only: to float walls. It has the correct resilience to accomplish that. The product you bought does not seem to do that. It seems to be more like some type of heavy limp mass product, for gluing to walls and floors, but not for floating them. The specs might say more, but they don't seem to exist.

Also, everything I see on their "isolation" age seems to be for thermal isolation, not acoustic isolation. Those are very, very different things. Products that work well for thermal isolation, generally don0t work for acoustic isolation. They work on two different principles of physics. Sometimes they are the same, such as with mineral wool and fiberglass: those both work for acoustics and thermal isolation, because they are "open cell" at the microscopic level. But products that are "closed-cell" don't work for acoustic isolation. Except perhaps as resilient pads for vibration isolation... Which MIGHT be the case with what you bought, but there's no way to know without the full technical data.

- Stuart -

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 16:39

I try to understand your advice and even respect you because you're a nice human being with great knowledge. The only thing is that I like to make things visual to understand it. I do my best to explain everything very well. But after 2 months of struggling and spending money on stupid things the motivation is really gone. Also due that my creativity as producer/engineer is almost gone so budget is a thing a this point. But that's the price I need to pay if I'll make a proper sounding room. I'll make some drawing on a paper and check if I understand you correctly. I'm trying to do my best, but my head is exploding with all this info. So I need to make it visual for myself in Photoshop or whatever.

The only question left is;
Why decoupling the outer wall from the inner frame? They will touch each other at some points (desk, cables etc.).

I also feel a little embarrassed asking so many questions. Sometimes twice haha.

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 17:09

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post
I'm not at all sure that's the right product for floating a wall on. I tired to download the specification data sheet, but I got a message taht Google translate as :

"Oops, something went wrong
Sorry, but this page probably no longer exists. Feel free to know what you could not find on our website.
"

Here u go, it's in Dutch. Google Translate will do the trick.
https://www.bouwpuntdeckers.be/content/ ... tfiche.pdf

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 18:18

DYSTONIA wrote:Source of the post Why decoupling the outer wall from the inner frame? They will touch each other at some points (desk, cables etc.).
Actually, they cannot touch each other! That's the point of an MSM system ("room-in-a-room"). The inner "room" is completely decoupled form the outer "room". Nothing touches. That's what you need in order to get high isolation. All of your furniture is within the inner room, and none of it touches the outer-room. Your desk and chair, equipment, instruments... all sit on the inner-leaf floor (Glenn's riser, in your case), and they don't touch the outer room at any point.

The reason is simple: If they did touch at any point, then you have what is called a "flanking path", which is a path that sound can take directly from one "room" to the other.

Think of it this way: You might have see the "old fashioned" tuning forks that musicians used to use to tune their instruments. They look like this:
tuning-fork-02--C-note-SML.jpg
tuning-fork-02--C-note-SML.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
tuning-fork-02--C-note-SML.jpg
tuning-fork-02--C-note-SML.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
To use it, you would tap the "fork" end on something solid, to make it "ring", then hold the "base" end against a surface of some kind, such as a table top, a wall, or your acosutic guitar, and you could then hear the note that the fork is tuned to, and tune your instrument to the same note. Now, if you just tap the fork then hold it out in the air, without it touching anything, you can't hear any noise at all, or maybe just a very faint note. But when you put the base down on the table, then you can hear the note, loud and clear.

The same happens with your studio: the inner leaf wall, floor and ceiling are going to vibrate because of all the sound in the room. The entire inner-leaf-room vibrates. If it is decoupled, not touching anything (like the tuning fork in the air), then no sound transmits across the gap to the outer-leaf room. But if you have a "flanking path" that joins the two rooms, then the vibration also goes across that path to the outer room, and then the sounds can be heard outside of your studio. That's why it is so important to "decouple" the inner room from the original outer room. If there is any connection, even something as small as the shank of a tuning fork (about the size of a nail or screw...), then you don't get isolation. (Cables are OK: they are flexible and there are methods for getting them from one room to another, without "flanking")

For this reason, it is very important to keep the two rooms separate, fully decoupled, as I describe in the article on MSM.

That's why you need to have something under your walls to decouple them from the concrete slab, and it has to be the right product to do the job. Everything in the universe has a natural resonant frequency, including your wall. The material that you use to "decouple" it from the floor must be designed specifically to deal with that frequency, and not allow it to get through. If you use the wrong product, then the resonance will get through, and so will other sounds. the Iso-sill product is designed for that. It has been formulated specifically to isolate studio walls. In fact, it can actually handle a wide range of wall weights, because that's what they designed it to do, and tested it in laboratories to make sure it does that.

I just looked at the "data sheet" from the manufacturer of the product you are using, and there is no useful technical data in there at all! The only actually useful specification there, is the density. At 120kg/m3, it is very heavy, so I doubt it is going to have useful resilience for floating floors or walls. IT seems to be what I first though: a "limp mass" barrier, something like MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl), so it would be useful if you glued it to a wall, for example. But there's no indication of the resilience, or the spring constant, or the needed compression, or anything else that a manufacturer would publish if the product was meant to be used for acoustic decoupling. They don't even say what it is made of, so it isn't even possible to guess at the characteristics.

The only thing is that I like to make things visual to understand it.
Me too! That's why I put so many visual images and animations in the articles that I linked you to. The images usually make it much easier to understand the concepts. Acoustics is complicated, and I do like to simplify things so people can understand them more easily. That's why I wrote all those articles, and put in all the images. The articles are sometimes very long, but as I said, acoustics is complicated so you need a lot of description to make it easier to understand. IF there is something in one of those articles that you don't get, then please let me know where you are getting stuck, and I'll try to edit the article to explain it better.

But that's the price I need to pay if I'll make a proper sounding room.
Very true! That's one of the reasons why I created this forum in the first place. Home studio builders, like yourself, always want to do the most possible with as little money as possible, and most people cannot afford to hire a studio designer to do the design for them (even though we aren't as expensive as some people think! :) ) . Some people can afford it and do want a professional design, and I'm very happy to have those customers who put bread and butter on my table! But most home studio builders can't afford to use up some of their precious budget to pay a consultant, so I made this place where people can get the information they need for free, and if they still have trouble, then they can ask! And folks like Glenn, Andre, myself, and others, will try to answer the questions, also for free. Because we get it: building a studio is expensive, and it would be terrible to spend all that money in your budget, but then get a studio that sounds horrible! So we try to help out people who are on a very tight budget, with as much free advice as we can.

As you already found out, sometimes the advice you get from people who might have good intentions but don't actually know what they are doing, can be very bad and can waste your money. Which is what happened with your resonating floor. You found that information on the internet, you bought the materials they told you to, and you built it the way they said... then it didn't work. That's NOT your fault! I say it again: It is NOT YOUR FAULT! Don't blame yourself for that. You are not an acoustic expert, so you don't have to know that stuff. But the people who gave you the info are also not acoustic experts (obviously! Because they gave you bad advice that didn't work!). The problem is their fault, for giving you wrong advice because they don't actually understand the science of acoustics, and just wanted to sell you their products. On the other hand, Glenn and I are not selling you anything! We both make our living by designing successful studios for our clients, and we do know what we are talking about (as you can see, from the hundreds of threads here on my website, and the same on Glenn's website [please do visit his website too!]), along with the testimonies of people who have taken our advice, and are very happy with their studios. We are just here to help folks who need help, and we do it for free. Why do we do it for free? Because some people who have big budgets find our websites, and hire us to design their studios. God is good, and we make enough from that to live on, so we can be a bit generous with our knowledge and our spare time, for other people, who don't have big budgets.

So that's what's happening here: Glenn and I and Andre and Jennifer and Starlight and many others here, understand the physics and science of acoustics, and we want to help others who don't have the time or inclination to learn it, but still want to build their studios. And very often people like you come to the forum, because they found out that their studio is not working, and they get very frustrated about that, just like you are right now. Which is very understandable! If I spent a lot of money building something, then it didn't work, I would be upset and frustrated too!

We can't fix your budget issue, but we can tell you what needs to be done to re-make your studio the way you want it to be. We can help you re-use some of the materials you already bought, as much as possible, but if you want it done right, then you are probably going to need to buy other materials too. We can recommend the least expensive materials and methods, because once again, we've been doing this for years, and we know what works... and what doesn't work(!).

So, what I'd suggest is that we should "rewind" a bit, and start over with the basic concepts for your studio. What I always do with a new paying customer, is try to understand what the problems are with his place, and what he wants it to be like when it is done. I want to understand the type of music he makes, how he makes it, how loud he is, where his studio is located, what his neighbor hood is like, even what the climate is like where he lives, because all of that matters when designing a studio. I want to understand the person, so I can understand the studio, then I can design it better. That's what I'd like to do with you too, even though you aren't a paying customer.

So, first: Where is your studio located? From what you have said so far, I'm assuming that this is located in your apartment, which is some type of multi-story apartment building. So I'm assuming that you have neighbors above and below, and on each side. It would be good if you can confirm that, and maybe add some more details about that. Are your neighbors noisy? Do they slam doors, dance with clogs on upstairs, sing loudly? Or is it quite in your building? Do they get upset with the noise YOU make in your studio? Have you ever had someone complain, or come knocking on your door, telling you to turn it down?

Then: What do you use the studio for? Do you record live instruments in there, such as acosutic guitars, drums, bass, keyboards, etc? OR do you just mix in there? Or do you make electronic music yourself but without any acosutic instruments? Those are all very different scenarios, regarding isolation: It would be great if you could download a good "Sound Level Meter" app to your cell phone, and measure how loud you are inside your studio when you are doing whatever it is that you normally do, at he loudest levels that you normally do it. And also measure the ambient noise level inside your studio, when you are NOT doing anything in there: just sitting quietly. Those two numbers are very important for helping you decide how to isolate your room... or even if it needs isolation at all!

Finally: What type of music do you make in there? Heavy metal is one thing, rock is another, reggae something else, classic different again, jazz also different...

So, if you can give us that information, we can pretend that you didn't actually build anything yet, and imagine that your room is still empty, then tell you what you should do to it to firstly isolate it to the level you need, and secondly to treat it so it sounds neutral and you can mix properly in there.

- Stuart -

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 18:32

Quick add because I think I didn't explain well. With the outer wall I didn't mean the concrete wall, but the new wall inside. But let me read your post :) I mostly do stuff in the EDM scene (Hardstyle, Techno etc. etc.). That's the reason why I need a 'clear' low-end to even mix/master in the lower range because of the reverb's etc.. Now you know why I use two subwoofers :)

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 19:15

So, first: Where is your studio located? From what you have said so far, I'm assuming that this is located in your apartment, which is some type of multi-story apartment building. So I'm assuming that you have neighbors above and below, and on each side. It would be good if you can confirm that, and maybe add some more details about that. Are your neighbors noisy? Do they slam doors, dance with clogs on upstairs, sing loudly? Or is it quite in your building? Do they get upset with the noise YOU make in your studio? Have you ever had someone complain, or come knocking on your door, telling you to turn it down?

Then: What do you use the studio for? Do you record live instruments in there, such as acosutic guitars, drums, bass, keyboards, etc? OR do you just mix in there? Or do you make electronic music yourself but without any acosutic instruments? Those are all very different scenarios, regarding isolation: It would be great if you could download a good "Sound Level Meter" app to your cell phone, and measure how loud you are inside your studio when you are doing whatever it is that you normally do, at he loudest levels that you normally do it. And also measure the ambient noise level inside your studio, when you are NOT doing anything in there: just sitting quietly. Those two numbers are very important for helping you decide how to isolate your room... or even if it needs isolation at all!

Finally: What type of music do you make in there? Heavy metal is one thing, rock is another, reggae something else, classic different again, jazz also different...

So, if you can give us that information, we can pretend that you didn't actually build anything yet, and imagine that your room is still empty, then tell you what you should do to it to firstly isolate it to the level you need, and secondly to treat it so it sounds neutral and you can mix properly in there.

It's kinda strange what im going to say right now but I have to. Indeed I lost about 200 euro's for stuff that indeed was recommended by someone who also buildings studio's for his living. I don't throw his name because I respect him and if it works for him, I don't care. But what im trying to say is that I really get though trouble the last few months in my private life so I was happy that I was almost done building and taking it all down hurts me in some kinda way. Frustration, sadness I don't know what it is. My house is filled with material everywhere I can't even sleep in my bed because there is stuff everywhere. Luckily I broke my relation so it's not that important haha. The couch wil do the job. :lol:

I was trying to organise it a little bit but I've already done then 10 times and after all it's still a mess. So besides that I want to give it one more try and I hope that I can finish it in a week or less. Not because I've to but right now im in the flow to build the studio and I can let it go/wait for another few weeks but then I fool myself. So that's why I get a little bit emotional because I invested in the wrong materials. Maybe I can use them later but that's another point. The thing that I respect and hurts me the most, in a good way, that there are still some nice people who help someone to figure out how to do it right instead of guessing what MAYBE could work. I really appreciate that and hits me in a good way.

Oke, let's move on. I'll give u the details u asked for instead of sharing my emotions. :horse:

- I do live in a terraced house with; living/kitchen - bedroom/bathroom/closet/""studio"" - loft (so 3 layers).
- I mostly produce EDM as (co)-producer and having a trance act with one of my best friend (The Airshifters). This name "DYSTONIA" is chosen for a reason, but google it and u find it out. Anyway under that name I'll release some projects where im still working on. Anyway move on haha. Have some other projects running but I'm not in the credits so doesn't make sense. ND.
- Sometimes I record something. But it will be my own voice for a track or whatever. Mostly I hook up to Fiverr or the label send me a vocal to work with.
- Yes neighbours around me left and right. The outer wall feels really solid and I can't get a screw in it without making a gap(?) first. The walls inside my house are, I think, aerated concrete. Because it sounds less solid when u knock on it.
- Yes they did complain a few times but that's wayback. I used Yamaha's HS80M and sitting on the long side of te wall. Since I use this system (3-way and 2 subs) nobody complained at all. Also mostly I work in daytime and when im writing or do something like a final master check I use a headphone. When sounddesign (leads, kicks, etc.) I crank up the volume a lot. They still don't complain because everybody is at work or have their own music on with the door open. I think I complained myself more. Listening to the same kick for 8+ hours haha.
- When I'm in the room there is almost no sound. It's quietly. But as u already know I will close the window space. Not specific for that reason but I like to work in a room with one focus point. And that is my screen. No distraction or whatever. I love that because I can focus at the max and turn the LED's to the mood im in. I tried to remove the time everywhere but in the end you'll look at your phone or watch.
- Because my iPhone is broken I can't get a really good measurement of the loudness. But I did it and it was about 102dB. Waaaay to loud, but at that point a was figuring out the resonance. So now we all know where that came from haha. Yes, I produce on really loud volume because I do the mix and mastering while producing. Louder sounds better of course. But because Hardstyle/EDM in general needs to be loud. RMS mostly peaking between 0.2 - 1.2dB and LUFS about 3/4. But that's what it needs. When i think/feel the basis of the track is there I crank down the volume and work on the arrangement. But nobody understands my workflow or even my Logic projects haha. It's a mess because I work really fast and quick. But this doesn't matter at all, just giving an example of my volume/workflow.
- About 100 meters there is a train. But I only hear it when I focus on it. And even with the window closed I can barely hear them.

Enough details? :shock:

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 19:22

Oh, maybe it's fun how to see what the room likes before (a year back lol) I take it down. As you can see I love an clean and dark place to work/stay concentrated.

5c83c181-c4bb-40b1-a4b4-1c1ba0b63c20.jpg

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 20:54

That's great stuff! Very useful for understanding where you are, and what you are trying to do. That room looked really nice, but from the treatment visible in the photo, I can see why you needed to make it better! :shock: That room must have been rather unbalanced, and tiring to mix in...

Now, since you don't do any live recording of instruments, and you don't have an issue with loud sounds outside that disturb you (except maybe the train, once in a while), I'm really wondering if you need much isolation at all! And since the room below your studio is part of your own house, but there's nobody down there to bother, I'm really thinking that your floor isolation can be minimal. I don't think you need to do a "real" floating floor (which would be very expensive anyway), and you can probably just get by with a Glenn-style "drum riser" floor. Y0ou might not even need that!

But since you already have the materials, and are on a very tight on budget, and I'd suggest you try an initial version of that floor using just what you have. This would be my suggestion: Take out the framing that you have on the floor, leaving the slab flat and smooth, then put down just the Rockwool insulation, completely covering the floor. Then put a couple of layers of OSB on top of that, and see how it sounds, from the isolation / resonance point of view. To be clear: your OSB will ONLY be resting on the Rockwool, nothing else. No framing under it. Just Rockwool. And leave a small gap all around the edge, so the OSB is not touching the walls at any point.

I think you'll find three things with that experiment:
1) The resonance will be greatly reduced, but perhaps still problematic.
2) The floor will feel a bit too "soft" under your feet.
3) Isolation will be better but still not great.

This will be a "proof of concept" for you, to show you that the idea is good, and works, but isn't complete. If you can hear the improvement, then they way to complete it is to take out the OSB, add the second layer of Rockwool under the OSB deck (so the mineral wool is at least 100mm thick, preferably 150), and to make the OSB deck thicker and stronger by adding a layer of 19mm OSB to whatever you have already, screwed together, to make it more solid and rigid. The put a layer of plywood on top, also screwed down

That should improve the situation even more, probably to the stage where you are happy with it.

If that works, and you are satisfied, then we can move on to doing the speaker soffits, which are more challenging to get right. But before doing that, I'd suggest that the next step would be to do the bass trapping at the rear of the room. In ANY studio, the rear wall is ALWAYS the most problematic, and will need the most treatment. In your case, on a tight budget and because you want to move fast, I'd suggest doing it the simple way, with a concept often known as "superchunk" bass traps. The idea is dead easy:
superchunks-03.jpg
Cut up mineral wool insulation batts into large triangles, and stack them in the rear corners, floor to ceiling. The sides of the triangles should measure at last 60cm, preferably more (90cm is ideal). MAke a simple wood frame to keep the insulation in place, put thick plastic sheeting over the front of that frame, then cover it with fabric to make it look nice. Do two of those, one in each of the rear corners of the room. Then do a third one, horizontally across the top of the rear wall, where the wall meets the ceiling.
superchunks-08-vertical-and-horizontal.jpg
superchunks-07-vertical-and-horizontal.jpg

This is a very simple, very effective bass trap. You can build it in a few hours, and you will definitely hear the difference in the room once it is in place. But do make it as big as you can. As I said, 60cm sides is the minimum that will do any good, 90cm is much better. If you like the result (and I'm sure you will!), but think it still needs more, you can add another entire batt to the front face of that, vertically.

The reason for the plastic across the front before yo put the fabric on, is also simple: That's a very large amount of acoustic absorption for your room. It is called a "bass trap" because the purpose is to control the bass reverberant modes in the room, but it will also absorb every other frequency, especially the mids and highs. You don't want it to do that ! It will make the room too "unbalanced" and "dull". The plastic helps to reflect back some of the highs into the room, so the can't be absorbed by the mineral wool. The plastic has to be thick. The thicker it is, the lower down the spectrum it will be effective. If you find that it is TOO effective, with too much of the high end coming back into the room, then don't replace it with thinner stuff! Keep it thick but cut large holes in it at random, so that some of the highs can be absorbed. If you think that the mids are being absorbed too much as well, then you can put some broad wooden slats across the front, to reflect back some of the mids too.

How do you check if there is "too much" or "too little" absorption for a frequency? Simple! NOT WITH YOUR EARS! Rather, use REW. Your ears and brain are not sensitive enough to small changes to be able to figure out if it is too "bright" or too "dull", or which frequencies are causing the problem. But REW is plenty sensitive, and can show you what is working, and how it is working, and what still needs fixing.

If you like the way all of the above works out, then we can talk about your soffits.... :)

I'm trying to give you the cheapest, fastest, simplest methods here, so you can at least get going and start making music again! These are not the ideal solutions I would recommend to a customer with a big budget, but they do work very well, and will very likely do what you need to get started.

Regarding your speaker setup while you are doing all this: just put them on those heavy stands that you have, set up vertically (not horizontally), with the acoustic axis at the height of your ears when you are seated at the mix position. As I said before that should be about 120cm above the floor. Maybe a bit higher. The acoustic axis of the HS80m is 27cm above the bottom of the speaker, and on the vertical center-line. That's the point where the sound "seems" to come from, so that's what you want at your ear height. Not the woofer: Not the tweeter. Not the top or bottom of the box: the acoustic axis. That's what matters. (Some people think that it is the tweeter height you should measure, but that isn't true: it's the acoustic axis.)

Set up your mix position so your ears will be about 1.3m from the front wall of the room, on the room center line.

Set up your speakers right against the front wall of your room, at the correct height, and about 160cm apart from each other (center to center). Therefore, they will be about 50 cm from the side walls. Angle them inwards so that the acoustic axis of each speaker is point at the spot where your EAR will be (not the middle of your head!)- Actually, turn the out a little more than that, so the axis is pointing just outside of where the tip of your ear will be. That way, the acoustic axes from the two speakers will intercept about 20cm or so behind your head. (read this to understand why: Speaker setup, and the equilateral triangle ).

Set up your sub on the floor (for now! You can move it later), against the front wall, and about 20cm to the right of the room center line (acosutic axis). Set the crossover to about 85 Hz, and set the level so that you get flattest possible frequency response in REW when you run a full-range test, as outlined here: How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics

That should give you a reasonably good setup for your room. It might not be perfect (there are methods for optimizing that), but it should be very good.

Based on your REW graph, you currently have some pretty serious acoustic problems in your room. This setup that I'm outlining for you should do a lot to improve that, but it won't fix it completely. It's the starting point. Once you have seen the results, and are convinced that we actually do know what we are doing, then we can move on to optimizing the room setup itself (speaker positions and tuning), and the rest of the treatment that you will need, include the soffits.

That's really the best possible advice I can give you at this point. It will get you up and running fast, at minimum cost, and hopefully connive you that it is worthwhile continuing with the process, to get your room as good as it can be.

Just to be clear: the above will NOT solve all of the issues with your room. It will improve things a lot, tightening up the bass considerably and improving focus and clarity, but it isn't the entire treatment I have in mind. There's ore that you will need to do, to finish the job.

- Stuart -

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 21:16

Stuart, thanks for your reply! So I know what to do when the sun comes up :). I've made those bass traps already in my studio when I lived by my parents. What about the walls?

(I don't use the Yamaha's anymore because a subwoofer blow them up. That's why KALI advised me to put the speakers horizontal to get a wider stereo field because they're 3-way)
Attachments
14315986_1183324351739005_1984457986_o.jpg
13833268_1139153569489417_1698086767_o.jpg

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Mon, 2023-Jun-12, 22:20

I'll not moving fast, I ment that I want to build again very fast so I can see improvement instead of useless flooring haha.

I did read your post again and I was thinking if it is possible to build the frame and then decide if I need a floating floor yes or no. Because I've not enough OSB to cover up 2 layers and maybe it isn't even needed so you say. Because I've plenty of wood (yeah a lot), concrete slabs and Rockwool. I can call a good friend of mine if he can help me out because I've no car at the moment so it's really difficult to get some large material over here. They cost 13 euro's per piece here. It's getting more expensive every day.

Because if I do the flooring im losing at least 20cm. Then also the ceiling will take some space and I can't even stand in the room anymore lol. Because it's 247 high.

So what I need to do:
- Get al the material out of the room
- Clean the floor so that there is no dust or whatever.
- Filling the whole floor with Rockwool starting with 7cm
- Adding another layer of 7cm (if I have enough, otherwise I need to take te 5cm)
- Slap some OSB on it and see if I can get more pieces
- Throw some plywood over it.
- And then I come to the conclusing if its working or not

I think I can figure something out but it will be max 2 layers of OSB I think. I've plywood but it's green and not that thick. I don't now the name for that but I'll add a photo.

IMG_1788 2.JPG

I was curious about this design, im pretty sure you have seen this already. Building the outer frame so that is covered and then starting to shape the room with another 'wall'. Im just thinking out loud so don't blame me for that please. Because I've so many wood and concrete slabs that I almost can build a house with it. :roll:

Because we already 'agree' that the building is already 'okay' soundproofed. I first will try your idea with the Rockwool and OBS + Plywood layers of course.
Attachments
Soffit+Front+View.jpg
Soffit+Angles.jpg
example soffit mounted speakers 0.jpg

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Wed, 2023-Jun-14, 11:56

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post
I think you'll find three things with that experiment:
1) The resonance will be greatly reduced, but perhaps still problematic.
2) The floor will feel a bit too "soft" under your feet.
3) Isolation will be better but still not great.

1; Resonates more than the floor I had before
2; Feels like no mass indeed. Yeah after 2 layers of OSB and one layer of MDF/Plywood.
3; The vibration was gone.

I also did some other tests because why not;
- 1 layer of drywall on the floor, 5cm Rockwool and one layer of OSB. That worked out pretty wel.
- That ISO fit sizzle I got with a rock slab, 5 and/or 7,5cm Rockwool and one layer of OSB
- No floor, only decoupling the subwoofer
- Rock slabs decoupled with that iso shizzle underneath it, filled up completely with sand and 2 layers OSB above it. No Rockwool only mass. (THIS ONE WORKS PRETY GOOD)

At the end they al did the same; vibration to the floor was gone. But I did those 'tests' on 1 square meter because of testing only purpose.
But it feels like a quick and fast solution which may cause problems in the future.

DYSTONIA

Postby DYSTONIA » Fri, 2023-Jun-30, 06:55

Studio project was laying because of busy weeks. Now remove everything and go further. Lol :yahoo: