Getting internet to a garden room

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
AlanK

Postby AlanK » Sat, 2023-Dec-30, 15:00

Hi all

So need a bit of (technical) assistance.

Having a garden room built at the end of the garden and not exactly sure the best way to get internet to it (too far to get wifi from the house) Its having power installed so I know best advice is to run a CAT cable along with the armoured cable from the fusebox. But the issue we have is that the fusebox is nowhere near the router.

We have Community Fibre who use a Mesh wifi router so is it possible to get an additional node to communicate to the router, put that where the fusebox is and then run the ethernet cable from that node to the garden room? Is that even possible? Is there a better way?

Open to as much help/suggestions as possible.

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED]

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-Dec-31, 13:43

run the CAT-6/7 cables (i'd run 4) from the terminal block at the fusebox to the garden terminal block. then inside the house, run a cable to your router. there really isn't any magic if you want reliable networking. the Power Ethernet is iffy at best so i do not recommend it. having multiple cables means you have future options (and also obvious things like not worrying that somehow the one cable you ran to save money is now intermittent due to some stretching or some other inadvertent mishap, and now needs to be redone).