New build small size high isolation project

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
BeardMusic

Postby BeardMusic » Thu, 2022-Oct-13, 08:11

Hi Tom,

Really enjoying reading your thread; learning from it too!

I thought my build was daunting! haha. Looking forward to seeing the final room, good luck!

I have a small request via PM if you could take a look when you have time please. Thanks!

Sam,

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2022-Oct-14, 13:12

i've added large silencers on the in-out bits of HVAC blowers themselves as well as decoupling from structure and duct (they make canvas adapters which work nicely). to avoid any fan transmission - and yes room silencers should remove most if not all of it, but noisy equipment is always problematic. also wrapping the units or attaching damping padding - self-stick soft rubber matts etc. can help.

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2022-Oct-14, 13:31

Thanks guys, I’ve replied to the PM…

The sound is pretty negligible in the room I haven’t done an SPL reading but will do. I have a big post update soon including graphs of the baseline so will post up sooon!

One great thing is that with music at just over 100db in the room is completely inaudible outside, by the door or external grilles so great!

- Success in music is being able to make music whatever your situation -

BeardMusic

Postby BeardMusic » Wed, 2023-Feb-01, 14:47

Hi Tom,

Sorry to post here... PM'd you again but I'm not sure if you've been on the forum for a while.

Could you take a look when you have time please? thanks.

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Wed, 2023-Feb-01, 15:21

Ooooo, sorry the PM’s don’t get email notified to me! Will check now!

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Thu, 2024-Jan-11, 07:51

Ok, I have no idea how it took me so long to upload these. I had sent them to Stuart very soon after having done them, but I haven't heard from him in...ages. So I think I was hoping to have something to say about them :o

I am going to do a test today to show how it has changed as I have bodged some bits in to get working this past year or so.
Attachments
PTM Baseline 7th Sept 2022.mdat
(7.03 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
PTM Baseline 7th Sept 2022.mdat

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Thu, 2024-Jan-11, 12:57

Ok

Here's the pictures of what the temporary make do with what was hanging around treatment looks like. I got free carpet so I was comfy. Free sofa so me and the friends are relaxed :D

IMG_0505 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0504 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0503 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0502 Medium.jpeg

While I have no where to store any studio gear, and no money, I just had to get it in and use it. I love it! :)

I have been waiting for details of the back wall as that will be easy enough to disassemble and move stuff to the front half of the room to work on. I'm not sure if I'll get the details, so may just build the hanger array as I think best. I will research the recommended materials list, Rockwool density and depth when it looks like I'll be able to afford it. Then I have to find a buyer for the Quested H210's as they are physically tooo big for the room to ever sound really good. I am planning on getting a set of Eve Audio Sc3070's and a sub, so the soffit framing has been designed and built for that. Once I can get the new speakers I can finish the soffits at the front and take a deep breath before measuring and thinking about clouds, wall panels and room tuning.
Attachments
PTM 11th Jan 2024.mdat
PTM 11th Jan 2024.mdat

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2024-Jan-11, 17:00

one of the things i did recently for a studio design in Brooklyn NY was to add cabinet space into the wall of hanger assemblies in the back of the room including racks for extra electronics. and typically in the front center of the soffit assembly is good for amps and other electronics for the speakers.

actually the quested 210 speakers would be good for the soffit mount and the eve 3070's on stands behind the desk. it's almost always nicer to have enough LF drive in the soffits without subs (although i've done plenty of subs in the soffits when its needed) but it looks like you have a lot of ceiling height to work with.

ericwisgikl

Postby ericwisgikl » Thu, 2024-Jan-11, 21:13

Hi Tom. Great thread and studio. It seems to be a problem in your last measurements. They look like there's comb filter all over the spectrum. Maybe something related to reference loop. You should check this out.

All the best.

Eric

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2024-Jan-11, 22:07

yeah, the measurements are all wrong. i'd recommend reviewing the REW instructions and verify your configuration. there are really 2 sets of measurements you want to make:

1) corner to corner (speaker low in one corner, omni mic pointing up in opposite upper cross-corner) - 4x one per corner pair switching mic and speaker positions. this measurement gives you the rooms total response.

2) omni mic in listening position pointing up at about ear height (say 1.2m and running 1 speaker at a time) - 2x. this one will give you the modal response and reflection energy for where you will likely sit.

3) optional - run the tests where the omni mic mimics the seated position centered on the couch (and/or include ones on either side as well for completeness) - use both speakers. this one gives you the idea of what people hear from the lounge position.

4) optional - imagine where you would have producers sitting -- like a desk between the mix board and the couch. and see what the response is there.

so between 8x and 12x runs. recommend the #1 and #2 each be separate files, then #3 #4 into one file if you bother to test.

reference:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5&hilit=room+measurement
https://gearspace.com/board/studio-buil ... stics.html

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2024-Jan-12, 08:27

ericwisgikl wrote:Source of the post Hi Tom. Great thread and studio. It seems to be a problem in your last measurements. They look like there's comb filter all over the spectrum. Maybe something related to reference loop. You should check this out.

All the best.

Eric

Thanks Eric! I think it's likely due to a severe lack of absorption on the back wall, there's just a couple of rolls of low density rockwool in the corners temporary and a temporary back wall of very high density rockwool for external wall insulation that I had spare from a job. what do you mean reference loop? Forgive my ignorance!

gullfo wrote:Source of the post one of the things i did recently for a studio design in Brooklyn NY was to add cabinet space into the wall of hanger assemblies in the back of the room including racks for extra electronics. and typically in the front center of the soffit assembly is good for amps and other electronics for the speakers.

actually the quested 210 speakers would be good for the soffit mount and the eve 3070's on stands behind the desk. it's almost always nicer to have enough LF drive in the soffits without subs (although i've done plenty of subs in the soffits when its needed) but it looks like you have a lot of ceiling height to work with.

Hi Glenn, That would be really great, I didn't know if it would be much of a compromise taking up some of the hanger space for storage... I'll certainly need it! Yes front centre I was hoping for using usefully too. I have audio cables, hdmi and ethernet run in conduit to the back so definitely an option for equipment there too...I usually put most of the drum mics through FR Red quad pre's so they just as easilly could go at the back of the room.

Yea I really like those quested speakers but Stuart did lots of simulation and found that the room would need to be about 1m wider for them to work...the drivers are just too close to boundaries? The ceiling height is gooood, one of the pay off's from digging deep in the ground and pocket. 2.6m to the underside of the concrete beams.

gullfo wrote:Source of the post 2) omni mic in listening position pointing up at about ear height (say 1.2m and running 1 speaker at a time) - 2x. this one will give you the modal response and reflection energy for where you will likely sit.

These are the measurements I took and was pretty diligent setting up REW, 2 sweeps a measurement 80db signal on each speaker Left then Right, then Both. Mic at close to exact positions for both sets of measurements, 1125mm from the floor pointing up about 70 degrees using Drayton calibrated mic, cal files in REW from Audio Interface and downloaded from Drayton site based on serial number...

Speakers are higher than they would normally be as the soffits are built for the Eve Audio speakers...the Quested's sit at like 1.3m acoustic centre!

I do have a set of Mackie HR828's that I used to have set up as well, but they're just so meh in comparison I never bothered to use them, so I shelved them.

Thanks all for the very helpful thoughts!

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2024-Jan-12, 12:36

the thing is your MDAT was all loping rounded looking and not the usual jittery frequency response we typically see. so something is off...

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2024-Jan-12, 15:06

gullfo wrote:Source of the post the thing is your MDAT was all loping rounded looking and not the usual jittery frequency response we typically see. so something is off...

Ah ok, did both the empty room mdat and the new one both have that loping? The Quested speakers have a significant hf roll off

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2024-Jan-12, 18:36

here's the MDAT all SPL:
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2024-Jan-12, 18:48

Oh, I’ll retake a bunch of measurements and post them up!