Studio Build- Central Portugal

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-02, 07:56

https://drspace1.bandcamp.com/album/los ... -continuum

My new solo album coming out in April...

Can some one point me to a thread that describes step by step how to make the acoustic measurements once my rooms are built so we can do the proper treatments?? I simply can't find this info anymore. I have the Prosonus PRM1 mic that was recommended by Stuart.
Thanks
scott

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-02, 10:26

I found the thread now.. Thanks
scott

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-09, 06:25

April 2nd

Slab is massive and solid!! Still a bit of a small lake on the top by where the door will be. This is not the floor so it is not a big problem.

April 5th

Slab looks excellent except for a couple of human and doggie footprints. All the water is dried up now. It will be perfect for them to continue on next week.

April 6th

They were back at work. Seemed a bit tired today the workers and not a lot got done. Blocks were supposed to be delivered first thing and never showed up. They will come end of the week now. They removed all the framing from the foundation and brought down the steel frames down for the back wall.

April 7th

The steel shuttering for the retaining wall was put up and they started to tie the steel. A lot of wooden for shoring up the wall for the concrete pour also arrived. They made good progress on this. Looks like they will be on track to pour the wall end of next week for sure.

April 8th

More progress on the retaining wall. The first pour is 3m. Then more shuttering and the last 2m after that. Then they will build a wall to the very top, which is around 7m. Paul said today the roof is 4.5m. I thought it was 5. They are still short about 6 metal shutters for make the complete wall in steel but Paul is pretty sure they will get them this week. No sign of the blocks yet. It is slow at the moment as there is so much steel to tie for the wall.

April 9th

Basically rained out. Paul came with some more of the metal shuttering for the wall but it rained a lot in the night and a bit this morning. Sunny at the moment but lots of dark clouds around.
Attachments
07A8FDA9-8B9B-4074-9259-95D94356C070.jpeg
3A7F03B4-35AC-4AC1-86CE-43C0D2746F3B.jpeg
14184C04-B8F5-4276-9B33-AF9BBEF50F5B.jpeg

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-09, 06:41

A lot of steel in that retaining wall which seems so unnecessary when the rear wall is solid concrete but this is what the structural engineer wanted. Everyone says it is total overkill since the building is built on granite and surrounded by granite. Anyway...
Attachments
1162C18F-4956-4952-A187-0E93F0C464F2.jpeg
The steel in the retaining wall.
6F8DD663-7EDB-49ED-AB84-809AF67C72CC.jpeg
Retaining wall taking shape..
02B6B7AE-4330-469B-B7B7-83A1E38CAE09.jpeg
3439C100-4897-4EB2-995E-C68B74FB8C91.jpeg

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2021-Apr-09, 07:00

Dr Space wrote:Source of the postA lot of steel in that retaining wall which seems so unnecessary when the rear wall is solid concrete but this is what the structural engineer wanted. Everyone says it is total overkill since the building is built on granite and surrounded by granite. Anyway...
Anyway, I am no structural engineer but I have seen enough documentaries of what havoc landslides can cause after unexpected storms, earth tremors, strong winds, etc. If that was my studio I would interpret it to mean the structural engineer does not want anyone to be crushed by that wall and so wants it to be as solid as possible.

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Fri, 2021-Apr-09, 09:18

I had a structural engineer design my concrete raft foundation and everyone I have told his design to, ie how thick and how much metal, said it was a lot. However do it right do it once!!

Looking like progress is happening for you! Exciting times

Gareth

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-09, 13:15

This will be a very solid and well isolated building, that is for sure. Progress is good. :D

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-16, 06:53

April 12th

Started off sunny but was cloudy but 15. The guys made good progress on the steel shuttering now that the steel was finished. The first 3m is almost done. Paul said they will try to shutter the entire thing instead of doing 2 pours. He said there is a lot of security work as you can’t have it leak or collapse as it would be a total disaster. He thinks they will pour it next week but if they have to wait for the concrete it is not a problem as all the bricks arrived today for the walls. 12 pallets!! 25cm wide and about 40 or 50 long. Did not measure it. Seems like way too many blocks. We will see. Still need the ones for the roof and the concrete beams for the roof as well. He says they are on schedule for finishing by May 12th, when they will come take the crane away. Got another bill from him to pay today. About 6000€ left to pay. Some rain the next 3 days so it will be slower work perhaps.

Tuesday April 13th

Raining on and off today. Guys did not show up until after lunch. Finished the supports on the back for the retaining wall. 3.5m x 11m…. Still some more steel on the top. They put the first blocks on the building today! They are huge. Special thermal bricks.

Weds April 14th

Made huge progress on the blocks. We had to move the window on the front that was now too close to the corner since we moved the building 1m away from the house. The bass trap would no longer fit. They did a great job.

Thursday April 15th

Wow.. walls are 2.5m wall now. They will be 3m in the front and 4.5m tall in the back. It looks like a big building now but I did some measurements on the inside and it is going to be a bit tight when bands are playing. The live room will be max about 4.8m wide and 6m long. Smaller than I had hoped and we will lose a few square meters in one of the corners for the storage room as well. I imagine that the drums will go in that smaller area near the control room window with the highest ceiling. It is so cool that I can really imagine what it will look like now.

Friday April 16th

The guys arrived a bit before 9 today.. normal time.. Paul said today they will pour the front pillars with cement and steel as well as the concrete at the top of the windows that will support the rest of the building on top. He is pretty sure they will pour the rear wall next week one way or another even if they can’t get metal shutters they are trying to find. They will do it with wood. They are used to do it this way for swimming pools. He is happy with the progress. We also discussed the granite for the side of the buildings and some landscaping ideas for the front..

Amazing progress...
Attachments
57FB6F31-2E07-4BF2-963F-8215CCA8FD8E.jpeg
8D84AAE3-1583-40E9-B60A-1818E2F6588C.jpeg
BF2E4BDB-0CCD-4877-8122-8AE3A825083D.jpeg
5D1C0C3F-28BF-4186-B28E-5C92D47335DB.jpeg
5CEDE0F1-238F-4602-9DBB-7A749DD7C7AD.jpeg
533FF001-FB7E-45EA-B585-1E4FBD7CB6A2.jpeg

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2021-Apr-16, 07:32

Dr Space wrote:Source of the postAmazing progress...
It certainly is! Thank you for the report and photos.

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Sat, 2021-Apr-17, 02:04

Wow this is going to be such an amazing space being that size, with those windows to such a view. Proper!

Cheers

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Tue, 2021-Apr-20, 04:14

I hope it will be an amazing place. I wish I could have afforded to make it a bit bigger. It think the live room is a bit small but we will have to do. I think it will have a final floor space of about 4.8 x 6m..... High ceiling though..

More pictures soon. The walls at the front are near final height now. Final framing for the retaining wall will be done today.
scott

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Tue, 2021-Apr-20, 04:29

Dr Space wrote:Source of the postI think it will have a final floor space of about 4.8 x 6m..... High ceiling though.
Our place is 4.8 x 6.2 x 2.9 at the moment (in the photo) if that helps you visualise what that area feels like. We will end up with a smaller room one the acoustic treatment is in place.
LP0709nácvik.jpg

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Wed, 2021-Apr-21, 12:43

Wow.. that is great. That is almost the same size as what I will have.. Looks more spacious than I had imagined. Thanks... :D

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Thu, 2021-Apr-29, 03:15

Monday April 19th

Guys arrived a bit before 9. José had to deal with his car and would be coming after lunch. Metal shutters were supposed to come at 16 and did not. They removed the framing of the cement above the windows and door today. Looks good. Gil put up two more layers of bricks so we are up to 2.9m now in the front of the building and on one side. This will slope up to 4.5m in the back.

Cement for the back wall has been ordered in for thursday. They are supposed to get the metal shutters tonight at 19 and bring them tonight. Paul will look into the windows tomorrow. Had a talk with Joe and he clarified a few things but Paul still want to talk to him.

Tues April 20th

José did come with two other guys at 19 last night with the panels. They used the crane to unload them. Now for sure they will finish the framing of the back wall today.

Spoke to Joe and we agreed that the inner walls we will have a 5cm gap between the brick wall and the frames wall. The framed wall will be made with metal framing (5cm) with one layer of plasterboard on the brick facing side, filled with rock wool and two layers on the outside. The most outer layer damp resistant. This will make the walls about 13cm thick to give us a bit more room in the live room.

Windows will be normal double pained glass with reflective mirror on film for the exterior for all windows. All the internal windows will be normal double pained glass except the live and control room, which will be laminated inside to provide less sound reflection.

Weds April 21st

It was ok weather in the morning but the rain really picked up in the afternoon and they had to quit a bit early but they are ready for pouring the concrete tomorrow for the back wall. Just one small section they have to foam up and it is ready to go. Exciting. Only took a couple of pictures today.

Gear for the studio arrived today. Now I have all the 6 speakers for 5.1 and the surround monitor controller by SPL. Some headphones for people if they need them (AKG) and the 16 channel of ASP880 microphone pre-amps. Rated very highly and working well with the UAD system for giving clear, non-coloured sound.

Thurs April 22nd

Guys showed up at the normal time and did the bits they needed to for the right corner. Concrete was delayed until 14 (they did not actually come til 15) so they worked more on the walls and window sills. Starting to go up at an angle now. Anyway, sadly, they only got the first 6m3 of cement poured and it looked like the wall was starting to bulge or bend out tiny bit in the middle so Paul made the call to not pour the rest. The risk was too high. We may end up having to pay for the 6m3 of concrete in the 2nd truck if they could not find another job to use it on. Damn.. Anyway, the last cement in the tube they used next to the wall where they will put some of the old ruin stones. Progress but a bit of a set back as on Monday, they will have to take down the front wall panels and supports and start over completely to do it again, so this is a bit of a set back, perhaps 3-4 days of work. Not sure..

Friday April 23rd

Paul called the night before and said they had a change of plan and in order not too loose too many days, they would shore up the wall this morning and gently pour the rest of the cement 6m3 by hand. So they showed up at normal time and sure enough, worked their asses off and poured like 60 mixers of cement to get to the top of thee 3.5m wall. They worked super hard in the afternoon with no break between like 14-18.. We had a beer together afterwards. Wow.. Now they will let the wall set for 3 days and be back on Tuesday to remove the frames and see what the wall looks like. Paul says if the bulge is too much in the middle, they will have to shave some of the concrete back in order to make the wall straight enough. We just have to wait and see. I am very glad they did this as now, they will likely be able to finish all the walls next week and put the plasterboard into the building and start on the roof the week after.

April 27th

Guys showed up at 8:45 like normal. It was nice in the morning but it looked threatening rain all day with masses of black clouds around but in the end it hardly rained. Gil and José managed to get about half the panels off yesterday. It is a big job to disassemble the supports and all the screws, supports, ties, etc.. then you have to clean all the cement off the everything as well. It is quite clear now that the wall is far from straight. Not sure how they will deal with this but it for sure bends out quite a bit. Also appears to lean. We will see, when it is fully exposed tomorrow.
Attachments
DSC_8367.jpeg
The rear retaining wall
DSC_8363.jpeg
DSC_8362.jpeg
DSC_8361.jpeg

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Thu, 2021-Apr-29, 09:53

Wow it’s coming along!

Just wanted to pick up on one thing you said:

Dr Space wrote:Source of the post The framed wall will be made with metal framing (5cm) with one layer of plasterboard on the brick facing side, filled with rock wool and two layers on the outside. The most outer layer damp resistant. This will make the walls about 13cm thick to give us a bit more room in the live room.

This sounds like you’ll end up with a three leaf wall, but I may have missed something. What is the purpose of the single layer of plasterboard on the outside of the frame?

Cheers
Gareth