Building Studio 45 - My Home Based Studio

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
endorka

Postby endorka » Thu, 2020-Jul-30, 19:52

Studio45 wrote:Thanks Jennifer! Much appreciated! I have to say, your build thread is pretty darn impressive and amazing! I'm far from being at the same stage you are but I can't wait to get into it!

Thank you :-) I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the angled ceilings. While they can make acoustic calculations, predictions and modelling difficult, I've found them useful as long as I work to their advantages. They are incredibly useful for recording, for example. Even with minimal treatment the rooms can give recordings that somehow seem more spacious than the room they were recorded in, and in a very pleasant way.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Fri, 2020-Jul-31, 23:03

endorka wrote:
Studio45 wrote:Thanks Jennifer! Much appreciated! I have to say, your build thread is pretty darn impressive and amazing! I'm far from being at the same stage you are but I can't wait to get into it!

Thank you :-) I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the angled ceilings. While they can make acoustic calculations, predictions and modelling difficult, I've found them useful as long as I work to their advantages. They are incredibly useful for recording, for example. Even with minimal treatment the rooms can give recordings that somehow seem more spacious than the room they were recorded in, and in a very pleasant way.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Yes! I'm pretty excited about getting there as well. It's coming soon! I've got a bit more insulation to put up against the ceiling before I start framing the control room. I've got it all planned out. I'm trying my best to work on my Sketchup model so I can show what I'm going to do. I'm starting with the Control Room and I decided I will be doing inside/out ceilings and walls. I look forward in doing some readings once it's all framed and done. :)

Francis,

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Fri, 2020-Jul-31, 23:17

Hey Everyone, happy Friday. Here's a bit more progress I've done on re-installing the structural box and HVAC main trunk.
S45-HV-1.jpg
S45-HV-2.jpg
S45-HV-3.jpg
S45-HV-4.JPG
S45-HV-5.jpg
S45-HV-10.jpg
S45-HV-11.jpg
S45-HV-12.jpg
S45-HV-13.jpg
S45-HV-14.jpg
S45-HV-15.jpg
S45-HV-16.jpg
S45-HV-17.jpg
S45-HV-18.jpg

S45-HV-19.jpg
S45-HV-20.jpg

I'm using a 3" ABS conduit to run/fish any additional wires back to the live room once I'm done.
S45-HV-21.jpg

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Sat, 2020-Aug-01, 11:11

Here's some more progress made on hanging some more insulation around the silencer boxes. Coming along nicely, and hope to start framing the control room soon. :D
S45-DW-1.jpg
S45-DW-2.jpg
S45-DW-3.jpg
S45-DW-4.jpg
S45-DW-5.jpg
S45-DW-6.jpg
S45-DW-7.jpg
S45-DW-8.jpg
S45-DW-9.jpg
S45-DW-10.jpg
S45-DW-11.jpg
S45-DW-12.JPG
S45-DW-13.JPG
S45-DW-14.JPG
S45-DW-15.JPG
S45-DW-16.JPG
S45-DW-17.JPG
S45-DW-18.JPG

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Sat, 2020-Aug-01, 14:29

I see the inspector is on-site: tail wagging means you are doing a good job; barking means you made a mistake.

I am working with my baffle boxes and knowing how small they are compared to yours and yet how heavy they are I am really impressed at your work to raise and secure yours. If you can hear me I am applauding!

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Sun, 2020-Aug-02, 13:21

Starlight wrote:I am working with my baffle boxes and knowing how small they are compared to yours and yet how heavy they are I am really impressed at your work to raise and secure yours. If you can hear me I am applauding!

Thank You!! Much appreciated! I tried to come up with a few other ways but always kept going back to that hehe. Hope your baffle boxes come out good :). I didn't feel like build multiple ones and figured I could use some of that extra space at the top. I hope it all works out in the end.

And yes!! of course the inspector is always nearby watching closely haha.

Cheers!

Francis,

sandledfoot

Postby sandledfoot » Tue, 2020-Sep-15, 14:21

Looks to be an insane amount of work... nice job. Hows the progress?

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Mon, 2020-Sep-28, 16:25

sandledfoot wrote:Looks to be an insane amount of work... nice job. Hows the progress?

Thanks for the kind words! It sure is a fair amount of work! Considering I've started this project over 4 years ago and have done lots of mistakes in the process, it is very motivating to finally be able to see it progress every week and being able to show for it.

Things are progressing well but I've had to take some time away to prep for the winter coming and make some fire wood :). Great to be spending some time outdoors and enjoy nature. I've been meaning to post another update with a series of pictures, so stay tuned on that. Once I complete a bit more work I'll make sure to post but in short, I've started framing the support walls for the ceiling, and am currently building custom ceiling trusses to support my inside-out modules configuration. It's certainly interesting having to dealing with slopped walls/ceilings. Custom custom custom custom. lol

Cheers!

Jag94

Postby Jag94 » Tue, 2020-Sep-29, 13:10

I don't know if you mentioned this earlier, but it appears that on the gable wall, you have rockwool insulation, but in the rafter bays you're using fiberglass. Is that correct or am I missing something? If so, what was the reasoning for this?

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Mon, 2020-Oct-19, 12:52

Jag94 wrote:I don't know if you mentioned this earlier, but it appears that on the gable wall, you have rockwool insulation, but in the rafter bays you're using fiberglass. Is that correct or am I missing something? If so, what was the reasoning for this?

hey Jag, sorry for the late reply.

I did not mention it in any of my other posts, during the construction of the house, we had hired someone to install insulation only in certain areas and that included the rafter bays. Unfortunately, we had planned to use Rockwool through the entire house, but long story short, the company made a mistake and installed fiberglass instead. I did all the walls with rockwool so half of the house is mineral and the other is fiberglass.

So for the studio build, I'm keeping the originally installed fiberglass but I'm using Rockwool/Mineral for the rest of the build. I'll be using mostly Rockwool for the entire build mainly for its properties. I loved working with that stuff during the construction of our home.

I'm going to post an update soon with lots of pictures so stay tuned :)

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2021-Jun-24, 23:04

Wow! Another really old thread that I apparently ignored! I'm starting to feel really embarrassed here.... I'm playing catch-up on old threads, now that I'm getting back into the swing of things after a longish absence!

Jag, where are you at in the build right now? And what problems are you dealing with?

- Stuart -

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Sat, 2023-Apr-01, 14:34

Hi everyone!

Once again, it's been a few years since I've posted any updated on my project. I've done lots of work on this build over the last years but my motivation has been all over the place and at times I've found it very difficult to stay focused. Good news is as of late I've been able to get myself back in the groove and make more progress. Things are coming along nicely and figured I could post some more pictures.

So to pick up where I left off, here's some pictures of the insulation being put behind the baffle box. I had to build some framing around to hold the insulation in place.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c7d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c93.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c7b.jpg

Here's a peek at my Sketchup model for the front and back support walls for the ceiling.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c86.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c84.jpg

And here's some pictures of the framing/assembly along with other insulation and vapour barrier installation. You can see the ceiling joists that will be resting on top of the front and back walls. I'm making sure there's a good gap between the ceiling assembly and the baffle box assemblies above.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c73.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c70.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c62.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6f.jpg

Here's what the ceiling framing will look like

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c6c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c74.jpg

Here's some pics of the front wall being done. I left a 3.5" gap between my outer and inner walls and had to fill with more insulation. You'll see the assembly of the front support wall and its composition. 3/4" OSB and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c79.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c69.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c71.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c78.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c75.jpg

I'll post more progress shortly :)

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2023-Apr-04, 19:35

Looks great! Some pretty awesome advances there. :thu:

- Stuart -

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Tue, 2023-Apr-04, 23:43

As promised here's some more progress pics :)

Next up was framing the ceiling and raising the front and back walls.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_aee.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b04.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af0.jpg

Putting the vapour barrier along with more insulation. You can see the space between the ceiling and the baffle boxes and framing above. You'll notice insulation sags and rests a bit on the framing. I don't think this will cause any flanking path issues.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fb4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fb6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fbc.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fbb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fba.jpg

Next up was building the custom lumber trusses to accomodate for the sloped ceiling. Because of the short span I ended up being able to use 2x6 lumber and build my own. As you'll see in the pics below, I ended up using an 45 deg angled overlap joint. I needed to make 12 trusses total but ended up making a few extras just in case haha.

First thing I started with is build a custom routing jig so I could repeat this process easily.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c5d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c5f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c60.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c58.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c49.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c4e.jpg

I ended up clamping, gluing and fastening all the joints using Premium PL and #12 screws
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c50.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_c5a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_b28.jpg

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Wed, 2023-Apr-05, 00:11

Continued....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b22.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b2e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b2a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_b20.jpg

I needed 2 heavier style trusses for the back wall and I wanted to make them the same thickness as the 2x4 side walls. Had to make them 3.5" thich so all I did was cut 1/2" OSB and glue it in between 2 trusses, with clamps, glued and fasten. You'll see later in the build where these trusses go ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_af7.jpg

The trusses start going up :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_205a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2059.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20b2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20b4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20c7.jpg

Here you can also see the insulation that fills the gap/cavity in between the outer and inner walls. I ended up using two big pieces of cardboard and sandwiched the insulation batts and ran the cardboard in between the two walls. That was a fun process ... but not really lol.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20cb.jpg

One corner all done :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20d0.jpg

Here I'm framing the side walls and building some modules for the front-side walls
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20f3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20f6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20c8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_20c6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2109.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_210a.jpg

More to come tomorrow :)