Private studio in Slovakia

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2020-May-01, 01:36

Oh wow interesting! I need to take a look!

- Success in music is being able to make music whatever your situation -

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-May-08, 17:09

A quiet week which I think shows that we are no longer the ongoing full-time project for these professionals so they fit us in spare moments. The builder came for half a day and we put up as much of the second layer of plasterboard on the walls as we could. We can't go higher as the ceiling needs to go in first and then the walls can be finished snug up to the ceiling height. After I took the photo I added backer rod and caulk between the plasterboard and the floor.
LP0587.jpg

Another day the electrician and his son came for 3 hours to add some more cabling, lights and sockets (but not all they could have done). The plumber also popped in to correct a mistake: he had plumbed the inline water heater with the water flowing in the wrong direction. Now sorted, we have warm water for washing our hands.
LP0596.jpg

I filled the rest of the week mostly with a mix of hand-twisting cable (I now have 40 metres done and two sore thumbs) and cleaning. Cleaning up plaster dust is a never-ending job.

A little aside: I was reading Jennifer's latest news and she mentioned Room 5. I thought she was working at home and as I have a lounge, kitchen, bathroom, etc. I thought Room 5 sounded odd. That got me to re-read her opening two posts in her topic (here) to remind myself of the building and its rooms. It crossed my mind that maybe you haven't a clue as to the context of our studio, so let me show you and explain.
4215tn720.jpg

We live on the 2nd floor in a block of flats (white circle on the right) and our studio is at ground minus one level at the back (white circle on the left). The row above us is all shops and around the other side they are at ground level. That means we have a row of shops between us and the flats so we are nicely removed from the residents, just so long as flanking sounds are under control. My wife, Miriam, grew up elsewhere in this town and was surprised to learn that everyone in the (8-storey) block could hear her playing her upright piano at home - a good example of flanking sound.

Next week: more cable twisting and sorting out the plans for the baffle boxes.

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2020-May-08, 17:47

Great to have some progress! Well done

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-May-15, 15:15

Now I have enough twisted cable to be able to call the electrician to put in all the cables that need to enter the studio from the fuse box in the hallway.
LP0620cables.jpg

This week's real work consisted of just one day when Joseph, the builder, and I added more plasterboard to the front wall, three layers. Every layer has plasterboard filler while the final layer has filler and scrim (I like the US phrase mud and tape). The edges of every layer get backer rod and caulk. Here is Joseph adding the scrim, aka joint tape.
LP0616.jpg

Here is the finished wall with 3 layers of plasterboard. The tops do not go all the way up as I want the ceiling in first, so the layers are stepped in 10cm steps. That leaves enough space so that when the electrician has installed the mains cable for the AV, I can call the HVAC company in to install the AC.
LP0622frontwall.jpg

We filled the rest of the day by putting up the first couple of boards for the new ceiling in the hallway.
LP0612.jpg

Did I really only do one day's work this week? Ignoring twisting cables, shopping for supplies and studying things I don't yet fully understand, it looks that way.

John Steel

Postby John Steel » Sat, 2020-May-16, 18:15

Did I really only do one day's work this week? Ignoring twisting cables, shopping for supplies and studying things I don't yet fully understand, it looks that way.

Sounds like much more than a day's work to me. I've just spent 2 days simply tanking my studio and it feels like a lifetime! Looking great - can't wait to see the finished article. ATB John.

“While none of the work we do is very important, it is important that we do a great deal of it.”
https://johnsteel.org/

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Sun, 2020-May-17, 07:32

Yea, every bit is a push on! John, lets see the grotty work!

John Steel

Postby John Steel » Sun, 2020-May-17, 10:45

Ha! "Grotty" is the word for it Tom! I'll post some pics when I have the energy! ATB John.

“While none of the work we do is very important, it is important that we do a great deal of it.”

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-May-22, 12:57

LP0628.jpg

Another week gone. 600 Euros (£550, $650) has been spent on plenty of plasterboard and OSB for the ceiling, MDF for the 4 baffle boxes, plus a new circular saw. I am working slower because I am working alone but that suits me as I can measure and re-measure to be really sure before cutting.

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-May-29, 01:57

This week was all about baffle boxes. First, cutting all 48 pieces in order to make 4 boxes.
LP0632.jpg

Here is the first one, a loose-standing test fit. Double-layers of 18mm MDF. This first baffle box weighs 38kg. It has one side and the top missing because the studio's wall and ceiling will do the job. This is my studio designer's design. The two boxes that are inside the studio will look like this and the two that are outside will use just the wall (I can show you when they are up) and the extra side means they will each weigh 46kg, way less than Tom's 300kg boxes (here).
LP0634.jpg

I went to the DIY shop to buy some clamps but the longest ones were not long enough so I have opted to glue and screw and apply pressure with whatever weighty things I have to hand.
LP0637.jpg

Next week: more baffle boxes and possibly the electrician will come to install power for the AC.

John Steel

Postby John Steel » Fri, 2020-May-29, 12:19

Great to see it coming together Starlight!
This week was all about baffle boxes
Manufactured with model precision! Did you make a straight edge or buy a saw rail for this? ATB John.

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-Jun-05, 17:34

This week the electrician came and installed the basic cables, that is, the ones that need to go from the fusebox and through the outer and inner studio walls.
LP0670.jpg

A hole was drilled and all the cables were fed through. Because I had to twist the live and neutral wires, the cables have no sheath. The electrician used what looks to me like the hose on our shower for each cable. Today the builder came and we filled the hole.
LP0687.jpg

On the inside the cables come in through the outer wall.
LP0688.jpg

Four cables go down to floor level - mains for the audio equipment, mains for other things (eg. phone charger, vacuum cleaner, CO2 monitor), one spare mains cable should we need an extra feed at some time in the future, and I added two orange XLR cables and a white Cat8 ethernet cable, also spare in case there is any need in the future.
LP0683.jpg

The three cables that stay up at ceiling height are the mains for the AC - the only live cable at the moment - and two for lights.
LP0689.jpg

John Steel wrote:Source of the postManufactured with model precision! Did you make a straight edge or buy a saw rail for this?

You are so kind, John. If a bad workman blames his tools then I should praise my new circular saw for any precision.

I am so glad you asked as I should have done this before I cut the baffle box pieces but your question spurred me on and I have now made a saw guide. I will need to cut 2.5m lengths for the acoustic treatment so I bought a 2.5m piece of thin plywood and two 2m aluminium rails (because I couldn't find a 2.5m rail).
LP0650longguide.jpg

My circular saw will cut almost 12cm to the right of the rail, so I need to leave at least 12cm on the right side of the rail.
LP0657longguide.jpg

I changed my mind and decided to work from the left edge, leaving a few centimeters for gripping the guide and glued the rails to the plywood using the acoustic caulk - because its description says that at under 3mm thick it can be used as a glue.
LP0671longguide.jpg

That means the first test run is when the saw cuts off the excess, leaving one long straight edge which I can line up with the cutting line and know that I can cut 2.5m dead straight.
LP0677longguide.jpg

Here you can see the scrap piece I cut off and also how the saw's own guide lines up with the cutting edge.
LP0680longguide.jpg

The 2.5m long guide is not so easy for ordinary (short) cuts, so with a 1.5m piece of aluminum spare I went out and bought a 1.5m piece of plywood and made a second saw guide for everyday use.
LP0685shortguide.jpg

The cost of making both guides came in at under 19 euros (approx. £17, $21).
LP0686shortguide.jpg

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Thu, 2020-Jun-11, 17:21

This week I completed building the baffle boxes, all apart from the duct liner which I only ordered today.

Gluing.
LP0697.jpg

Gluing edges to the base.
LP0698.jpg

Gluing more edges to a different base.
LP0699.jpg

Laid out relative to where they will end up.
LP0707.jpg

And again, just from a different angle.
LP0708.jpg

Tom mentioned the neat work on the first one. That was beginner's luck. The second one was a near bodge-up and proved to be my learning curve. The third and fourth are much better.

Next: waiting for supplies to arrive and the AC and doors to be installed. Once the AC is in I will be able to install the ceiling and then finish the walls.

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Thu, 2020-Jun-11, 18:03

Greetings Starlight,

The boxes look great! But they also look heavy. I hope you won't be giving an orthopedic surgeon a boat payment...

You studio is really coming along beautifully (I've read the entire build thread). Are you still on lockdown there?

Can't wait to see more.

All the best,

Paul

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Thu, 2020-Jun-11, 19:11

Compared to Tom's 330kg (727lbs) baffle box (in his topic, here) designed by Stuart for ultra-high isolation my boxes are rather timid at 38kg (83lbs) and 46kg (101lbs), although sufficient for my needs according to my studio's designer. In my case, the baffle boxes will be installed against a wall (in the corridor) or a wall plus the ceiling (in the studio) so some sides are currently open and therefore lighter. Having slipped a disc in my back last year (lifting a box of bathroom tiles) I lift these very carefully, believe me. When it comes to installing them I am so grateful that they are less than the 68kg (150lbs) limit of my plasterboard (drywall) lift, so it can do the back-breaking work, once we have lifted them onto the lift - that's what the red coathanger is.

Paul, if there is anything you can glean or want to ask questions about from my build or anyone else that is further along than you are with yours, make the most of it and learn what you can.

Slovakia is coming out of lockdown. We were fortunate that the government jumped on it as soon as we had our first case, with mask wearing being obligitory from early on - including politicians, the president and TV presenters, all helping show the way by being good examples. For the last month we have been getting under 10 new cases each day, and only 28 deaths overall in a country of 5.5 million people, so I feel truly privileged to have been here during lockdown.

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Thu, 2020-Jun-11, 20:41

Greetings once again,

Yes, I saw Tom's behemoth. If he ever gives up his studio, he could salvage it as a bunker. I too am considering the purchase of a drywall lifter. Seems that several folks on the various and sundry forums have been quite pleased to have one. On the other hand, I do have a great drywall guy. More expense, but it certainly gets done beautifully (and quickly!).

Yes, reading everything voraciously here! As far as asking questions, I'm not shy. I've always encouraged my students that it is the most important thing one can do.

You are certainly fortunate to be someplace where the virus is taken seriously! I see you also call the UK home, so I'm sure you've breated a HEAVY sigh of relief that you weren't there for this fun and excitement. It is like a second home for us too: my late mother-in-law lived there, and when I was in academia, much of my research was conducted in London archives, and I presented at many conferences all over England.

All the best,

Paul