green glue between acrylic glass and laminated glass

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Tue, 2021-Feb-02, 15:00

I was rather hoping you were channeling a certain rapper:

"It's Hammerdrill time!"

endorka

Postby endorka » Wed, 2021-Feb-03, 10:47

killerjoe wrote:Source of the postThere's no wooden part of the door. The original glazed door is frameless, an the side panels are also frameless glass.

Purely amateur opinion here from me, but I think you are getting into murky territory. Several things spring to mind;

1) Are the door hinges strong enough for the additional weight? They may need to be replaced if not.
2) Is the door frame strong enough for the additional weight? May need to be beefed up if not.
3) Will the added weight pose a danger to human limbs and fingers potentially getting trapped into it? May need a proper door closer if so.
4) Will your modifications be within fire safety regulations?

In real life I am far from being a clipboard wielding killjoy, but doors are a particular area worth doing properly.

Assuming all the above are ok, If you'd like to add glass to glass properly, two options spring to mind;

1) Replace the glass door with a heavier one.
2) Get a glazier to add another layer of glass to the existing one. I imagine they have ways of securing it that will be safe and not crack the glass.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2021-Jun-30, 20:06

killerjoe wrote:Source of the post Stuart will remember me as the guy building a studio on the 7th floor of an office building.

Hey there Lindsay! Good to see you here! Glad you found the new forum. Sorry I wasn't around when you first joined up, but better late than never!

I see Jennifer and Starlight have been giving you good advice, so I don't need to add anything to that. I'm just wondering how the project is coming along! It's been quite a while now since you started on the original design, and I'm itching to see some progress! Got anything to share?

- Stuart -