FREE DOWNLOAD: Simple Dynamic Acoustic Absorber

Useful tools, documents, links, reference materials, 3D SketchUp models, and other items that might be of help in designing or building your studio.
Forum rules
RULES FOR THE DOWNLOAD AREA:
Some items on this page may be protected by copyright, trademarks, or other intellectual property rights. To the best of my knowledge, everything here is freely available in the public domain (especially my own stuff that I'm releasing here!). However, if you do find something that you think is a copyright infringement, please let me know and I'll remove it or add any necessary accreditation.

Regarding my own items listed on this forum (tools, articles, photos, advice, etc.) they are all released without any warranties or conditions, expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties of merchantable quality, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, accuracy, correctness, or any other representation at all. Use them entirely at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything here on the forum, nor for what you do with it, nor for any results you obtain, or fail to obtain, from using any information or other item that you find here.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Fri, 2019-Sep-20, 13:48

Another free tool for studio designers! (The same disclaimers as for the Raytrace Assistant tool applies to this one as well)

This is a simple acoustic absorber, but it is fully dynamic, meaning that you can reshape it and resize it in different ways to fit whatever it is you need to do in your own room. It also has automatic dimensioning on it, where the dimensions update as you change the parameters. Like the raytracing aid, this is not an earth-shattering component: just something that I developed to be helpful in quickly trying out treatment options in the SketchUp model of studios.

You can find the tool here (click on the link):

And this is what it looks like:

SOUNDMAN2020--Absorber-Tool-cutaway-dimensioned-Image.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just your basic porous absorber panel. A wood frame with insulation inside it, and plastic mesh front and back to hold the insulation in place. That view shows it without the fabric cover visible, so you can see the inner parts. Here's what it looks like if you make the fabric visible:

SOUNDMAN2020--Absorber-Tool-normal-Image.jpg

Boring! But useful. What makes it useful is the ability to re-size it quickly and change the options, to help speed up the layout of your room. Instead of needing to manually create and re-size each part of each absorber, this component does it all automatically.

Here's the Dynamic Component options control panel:

SOUNDMAN2020--Absorber-Tool-options-Image.jpg

This lets you set several options, such as:

• Choosing the frame dimensions in three different ways: 1) A list of nominal lumber sizes, such as 2x4, or 1x8 etc. 2) A list of metric sized panels, or 3) manually entering the exact size you want. If you choose #1 or #2 then the manual dimensions are ignored, as they are set automatically by the lumber size. There are sensible limits on how big or small you can make the framing, and those are shown, along with the current width and thickness of the frame members.
  • Set the overall height and width of the device. Limits apply here as well.
  • Set the insulation thickness: you can select to have that set automatically based on the lumber size, or to enter it manually yourself, or choose from a list of common sizes.
  • Air temperature: needed for the acoustic calculations (if you want extremely accurate rough estimates!)
  • Projected lowest useful absorption frequency. This is presented in three different ways: first as the traditional "quarter-wave length" old-school theory, which has been proven to be wrong but you still find it in some texts that aren't yet up to date. Then as the more correct " 1/16 wave length " theory, which has been shown to be correct. This theory states that an absorber provides useful absorption down to the wavelength that is 1/16th of the thickness of the absorber for normally incident sound (sound waves that hit the panel head-on, hitting the face at a 90° angle), and down to one octave lower for randomly incident sound waves (arriving at the panel face from all angles at once). Be warned that the "randomly incident" number makes a number of assumptions that probably are not true in your room, unless it is VERY large! The "normal incidence" number is more realistic, and shows the lowest frequency where your panel will have some usable effect. The 1/4 wavelength number shows the lowest frequency where maximum absorption can be expected (assuming that the type of absorption is optimum).
  • Acoustic data: shows the frontal area of the insulation (does not take into account the parts of the insulation exposed through the side slots - maybe in the next version...), along with the number of sabins of absorption (both imperial and metric) that this panel will provide, assuming that the coefficient of absorption is 1.
  • Display controls: the final section provides a set of controls for making some parts of the absorber invisible, so you can see what's going on better. One of these controls the visibility of the dimensions, in case you don't want to see them all the time. The dimensions will still update automatically every time you change something, even if the visibility is turned off: you'll be able to see the new dimensions once you turn it on again.
And that's it! Nothing fancy, really. Just a useful component you can insert into your SketchUp model of your studio, for quickly placing and sizing acoustic absorbers in your room.

Hopefully you'll find it worthwhile.

- Stuart -

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Sat, 2020-Jul-25, 16:58

(updated with some corrections to the text and title)

endorka

Postby endorka » Sat, 2020-Jul-25, 19:29

That is well useful thank you, and I love the feature displaying the estimated lowest absorption frequency.

These side vents are brilliant, I built a load of panels with an open frame construction and firmly believe in the concept. Cutting them out from solid planks like this would be much quicker than the open frame construction though. Another excuse to fire the router up!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Sat, 2020-Jul-25, 21:04

endorka wrote:Source of the post Another excuse to fire the router up!
:thu: Definitely! Router, table saw, jig saw, chop saw, power plane, thicknesser, belt sander, circular saw, ... and a few others. That's my recommended tool list for building studio treatment.... Not that I HAVE all of those myself, but I can dream! :) And if you are going to do framing, I highly recommend getting a nail gun (pneumatic) and a compressor to run it... then also getting a pneumatic caulking gun, to do those miles and miles of caulking beads that you'll need... If you try to do that with a hand operated caulking gun, then you should buy a couple of spare hands! (!) because you'll wear out the ones you were born with..
:shot:

Hmmm.... Maybe I should actually put together a recommended tool list, with some basic info on where you might use each one, and how to use it... The only trouble with trying to show people how to use power tools from an on-line forum, is that somebody, somewhere will find some way to do it WRONG... and hurt themselves! As the saying goes: "There's one born every minute....".

But getting back to the absorber design: Another option instead of slots (if you don't have a router or jig saw) is to drill a series of very large holes all the way along each part, using a proper hole saw on an electric drill. Tedious, but it works.

- Stuart -

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Sun, 2020-Jul-26, 09:00

Greetings Stuart,

Hmmm.... Maybe I should actually put together a recommended tool list, with some basic info on where you might use each one

I had the same thought. A very good idea. And certainly leave it at that. Otherwise...

and how to use it... The only trouble with trying to show people how to use power tools from an on-line forum, is that somebody, somewhere will find some way to do it WRONG... and hurt themselves!

As the saying goes: "Hold my beer." (Fixed that for you! :P ; that's one of the "three things people say that should make you run as far and as fast as you can! The other two: "Uh oh." and "Hey, watch this!")

And as the other saying goes: "Remember, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...then it's just fun."

All the best,

Paul

dvuckovic

Postby dvuckovic » Tue, 2020-Dec-08, 11:53

Hi, where's the download?

I'm not finding it in 3dWarehouse.

Thanks!

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2020-Dec-08, 18:34

dvuckovic wrote:Source of the post Hi, where's the download?

I'm not finding it in 3dWarehouse.

Thanks!

Sorry about that! The link wasn't in the post itself... folks REALLY had to know where to look, to find it!! :oops: :roll:

But I fixed that now: the link is in big green letters.

(I don't use 3dWarehouse, for roughly the same reason I don't ask the Mafia to protect my house... :) )

- Stuart -

dvuckovic

Postby dvuckovic » Mon, 2020-Dec-14, 18:32

Got it, thanks!

Ethan Connor

Postby Ethan Connor » Mon, 2021-Jul-19, 08:01

These files are very useful. Thank you for the files.

THIS USER IS A SPAMMER. ALL POSTS WILL BE DELETED SHORTLY, AFTER REVIEW.